I-140 in processing and 3.5 years on H1B, too risky to change job right now?

Microsoft grm
May 13 15 Comments

The less risky option of course is to wait till approval and then 6 more months. How quickly after joining do companies like Amazon and Google apply for another i140? Would I be risking not getting an extension if I move now?

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 15 Comments
  • Cisco Wakeup
    You don’t have to wait 6 months. Just get i-140 in premium and leave
    May 135
    • Microsoft grm
      OP
      Are you saying that big companies like Ms don't withdraw i140 so it is safe to not wait 180 days after approval? Or am I misunderstanding something in the process?
      May 13
    • Qualcomm dynasty001
      No big companies dont withdraw i140 willy nilly. Its exposes them to a higher risk of getting audited by uSCIS

      Source. Multiple ppl from qualcomm did it , and neither of them faced any issue. Assuming msft follows thru as well
      May 13
    • Cisco Wakeup
      Never heard of any big company do it. U can just move after it gets approved and u get a copy of it.
      May 13
    • Microsoft grm
      OP
      I see, thanks for the info. I guess I'll move after a few months.
      May 13
    • PayPal BB!B
      Yes, big companies don’t revoke so it’s fine.
      May 13
  • Credit Karma green_sky
    Any new application takes 1.5 -2 years. Your renewal if 2.5 years away. Change if you want to. Get PP otherwise. Also talk to your lawyers. Get offer first talk to hiring company attorneys
    May 133
    • Microsoft grm
      OP
      Premium processing still only cuts 4 months right? After that I guess I still need to wait for 180 days?
      May 13
    • Credit Karma green_sky
      Yes, bro your renewal is 2.5 years away. Don't worry, go change if are looking for it. Disclaimer - no legal liability assumed.
      May 13
    • Microsoft grm
      OP
      My first i140 got rejected due to some incorrect info by lawyers in application, so I'm worried that new application approval may take on the higher end of 2 years and maybe cutting it too close
      May 13
  • Microsoft grm
    OP
    Does anyone know what reason to give to get the manager to approve premium processing for existing i140? Obviously I can't tell him that I want to leave :P (and would prefer not to pay myself)
    May 132
    • Microsoft yuiva
      You can tell that there are chances of i140 getting RFE-d after one year or so if you go for regular processing and you’ll need to act then. Whereas premium processing will get this feedback quickly and in case of RFE, you’ll be able to act quickly. With current restrictions, tell your manager that you really want to go for premium processing

      In fact I told similar things to my manager even though I was not planning to leave because this was a real reason for me :). I didn’t want to wait for a year or more for this and I was even planning to pay the price from my pocket if they were not willing to
      May 13
    • Microsoft grm
      OP
      I see. My situation is also unusual so that explanation makes sense. Thanks!
      May 13
  • Microsoft / Enggqne23
    I would recommend wait for approval of i140 and then make the switch
    May 130
  • Microsoft / Enggqne23
    You can tell them that you need to travel to India soon and would prefer the i140 done before
    May 130

Join verified employees in our anonymous social network!Download the app!

close