Improving Your Look for Better Opportunities
Question - In your experience, is there a correlation between the way you look and your career progression? If so, I’ve noticed a few things that people could do to significantly improve their look, and get management to take them more seriously
1) be cognizant of how you and your clothes smell. Do you smell like a humid spice cabinet mixed with BO?
2) related to the above, wear deodorant.
3) work out (both men and women). Specifically, lift weights. It’s amazing how differently people treat you when you’re just a little more jacked
4) dress better. This goes hand in hand with lifting weights and wearing deodorant. Stop wearing baggy clothes, clothes from Costco, etc. buy two pairs of slim, dark jeans and neutral, single color shirts without loud prints/patterns
5) backpacks. Stop wearing company-issued backpacks with logos and carrying them like a 12 year old kid. It screams “dork that lives with Mom”
6) ladies, wash your hair regularly so it doesn’t look oily, wear a little makeup, trim your eyebrows. Men - groom your beard/moustache, shave properly. Everyone - get your skin checked out if you have lots of zits and pockmarks
7) you are what you eat. Eat a lot more protein and veg and a lot less carbs. Drink lots of water