[Not crying just trying to understand]
I see lot of indians are worried about immigration and visa situation.
Those who came 15-20yrs back or married to american got GC/citizenship.
But most of us(f1,h1bs, their families and dependents) are waiting and has to deal with lot of issues and uncertainty.
I think there are 3 kind of people (mostly engineers) from tech companies like
1. amazon, Microsoft, Google ... Adobe eBay...
2. Large consulting companies tcs Infosys cognizant etc.
3. Small consultancies who deal in contract, hourly salaries and are mostly involved in fake resumes, visa abuse etc.
It's very unlikely that people working in 1 would be taking any American person's job as their hiring bar is higher and they have lots of positions open & will hire anyone who fits in their requirements irrespective of whether he is american or not.
People working in 2 are mostly from indian MNCs. 60-70% of them are working in testing, test automation, SQL and db admin and other less technical work. Remaining 30-40% are working in engineering/development, something more technical or that requires specialized skills & domain knowledge.
But these folks also has to put lot of effort to get to on-site, handling on-site work as well as as offshore calls. And most importantly keeping client and their manager happy.
There is no point in talking about 3. Those who can't make it to above two are most likely to join 3. No offense but I see lot of South Indians specially Telugus in here. I guess every another person from that region wants to be in us.
Why don't the US immigration system checks applications coming from 2 thoroughly and investigate type 2 companies. These type 2 companies are nothing but white collar commission agents. they must be paying lot of money and bribe to US officials to make things work. I have seen them filing h1b applications for every other person working with them just to improve probability of getting more h1b visas.
Simply ban and take action against 3.
US immigration should make things easier for 1. If they have to leave US then their employer will send them to Canada or some other place and US will loose lot of tax money.
Also if the Americans and US immigration still hates type1 employees then why don't their employers send them back to India. They can do similar work from India for same company. I think many will go back if employers starts paying 50-60%+ of US TC in India. It will save trouble for everyone. Americans don't have to worry about indians coming to US. Indians don't have to worry about immigration issues. Employer will also save 40-50% and immigration process charges.
Am I missing something here?
No trolls please.
[Not crying just trying to understand]
- Google ebgbdIndians are an overrepresented minority. Silicon Valley wants more African-Americans and Latinos instead of Asians and whites.
- LinkedIn uhQK17Let me guess you are in tier 1 and don’t care about the rest. While we all acknowledge that there is a problem with the current system, merely categorizing and banning a tier is not a solution. Every one’s case is unique and tier 3 people would have worked hard to come here.. I will respect them rather than looking down on them.
- Countries and government work on institutions. Each instution trusts the others and a chain of trust is created. Example: one govt will give u a visa based in your passport which is issued by the government of another country,hence another institution. It is the responsibility of the issuer of passport to ensure that it is not the weak link in the chain. So if u can buy a passport, you can get a visa, and the chain of trust is broken. So what does the govt issuing the visa do? It can stop trusting passports from that country, nothing more.
Same is the case here, h1b is given based on ur education. If you are producing masters degree from a college in India, the govt here assumes that the said degree was earned without 'hacks' aka jugad.
Since 1980ies India has produced tons and tons of engineers, every second college setup there is giving out degrees in comp sc. And the people teaching there know jack shit. So most the the engineers produced, also know horse manure.
These students also have no interest in comp sc. Their interest is in coming to usa for dollar. If the same dollar can be earned by cleaning toilets, then there would be colleges teaching toilet cleaning skills in India.
Since they are low in skills and only care about dollars they are willing to work for low wages as well.
What can the us govt do?Change the rules or stop the visas.
So yes, it is the fault of the indian govt that they didn't bother to do quality control in education.
Hacks aren't always goodNov 28, 2018 1
- Hmmm.. Hehehehe. But there a lot of good people man. I see very good developers and architects who are indians. I see not all are the shitty ones. Yes this time i see your point. I personally know people who i would never even hire to clean my laptop let alone code. They have a gc, happily settled with their family in US and are helping spread the bad name for even the good ones out there.Nov 28, 2018 0
- It is always polarized. When I speak to folks who have worked with regular hires at reputed companies they say Indians rock. Sure they do, as they are the good ones. But if I speak to folks who only interacted with contractors or have had to manage them, i get the response that Indians are a shitty bunch. Unfortunately, ratio wise the shitty bunch is more in volume. And Indians get stereotyped.
Their leader Modi should invest 400mil in quality rather than a statue, and I hear they are making a few more of those.Nov 28, 2018 1
- Nothing is going to change in immigration. Don’t like it? You can always go back to India.
- Amazon uuyz57Respect the law of the country and move on, cut your losses and remember when if things doesn’t look right most probably they are not right!
- @nancylosy..... you see your fore fathers jumped on boats to come. They may not have even needed a visa. The categories 1/2 are doing it the hard way... the are not jumping over walls , crawling into tunnels . Category 1 is also mostly educated in the United States by beating your Ass for those seats in the universities . So take a chill pill. All of these people pay full taxes and also social security which they may never take advantage but subsidizes the lives of your redneck brethrenNov 10, 2018 3
- Microsoft 4655434bI like how the ‘immigration improvement post’ takes a swipe at south indians...
For tier 2 paying bribes, you got evidence of that?
And finally, laws don’t get written based on company reputations. Laws have to cover all scenarios with predictable & fair process/treatment.
- There have been several whistleblowers in tier 2, that have increased the scrutiny on visa applications from companies in that space. For last few years, VCs systematically steer startups away from working with indian vendors till they are very big and organized like google or Facebook where its at a stage of justifiable scale and they can have offices there.
- I was just looking up a project at fb. I don’t see any white, African American or Latin names there . What’s stopping you guys ?
- I think they can simply start charging some money for filing an H1B application instead of only charging the full amount when an application is picked.
Flagged by the community.
- Hay man
I can't understand what are you saying. But I would like to say I have nothing against Telugus or any other people. Many of my Telugu friends are brilliant, working in very good companies and doing really excellent work.
But there are many others who are involved with consultancies, fake Universities, fake resumes and visa abuse etc.
- Google / Eng quix@OP - I vote that people who are incapable of writing grammatically correct posts get sentenced to 10 years in Siberia, followed by deportation.
- Vanguard / Eng krampusHaha listen guy, we cant change imigration laws for stuff Americans actually care about let alone work visas for technical workers we don't really need
- Microsoft CoCo44Companies prefer hiring people on visas. They can't easily leave the company and they can be paid less. And yes, this is not good for American employees.
- Here’s a simple way dealing with uncertainty. You’re special till the end of your current visa expiry. So do something to get the next renewal in specializing in your field. Start teaching, make start ups, write a book to get published or a blog with a readership: all in line with your specialization.