Full Disclosure : I am indian citizen who is also waiting in backlog
If we need to fix the backlog issue, we need to fix the abuse first. There are three abuse paths that I am aware of:
1) H1B : everyone knows about H1B abuse. consultancy companies have many fake companies so that they can file multiple H1B petition for same employee. Then they pay them lower wages and let the game continue.
2) H4 EAD : with this new power, consultancy companies do not even have to bother with fake petitions. They just need to generate fake resumes and since candidate already has EAD, they can begin working.
3) EB1C : This is the neweest weapon in consultancy compnies arsenal. Basically, just send candidate with word “manager” in title and have just ome reportee in india and file their GC as EB1C. THIS is the main reason for almost no movement in priority dates in pst 2 years. Consultancy companies have abused the hell out of this option and there are no GC left to trickle down to EB2.
Lets see how long this post lasts before it is flagged down by consultancy company employees.
Full Disclosure : I am indian citizen who is also waiting in backlog
- Cisco / Eng RottenRobiYou feel entitled because you work for Google? What makes think you are superior to someone from a consulting firm, who works for mission critical apps for an embedded product? As far I’m concerned, you and your ilk who push ads don’t add any value and are the bane of humanity. BTW, I never worked for a consulting firm.
- "You feel entitled because you work for Google?"
Worked hard and did well in his career so landed at Google. Why should not he have a problem with absolute losers who are getting GCs while he has to wait.
"What makes think you are superior to someone from a consulting firm, who works for mission critical apps for an embedded product?"
Cry me a river. If WITCH really are working on mission critical stuff then why is their TC less than half of FAANG?
"As far I’m concerned, you and your ilk who push ads don’t add any value and are the bane of humanity."
Given an opportunity, every loser in WITCH would go to FAANG for higher TC. TC drives the market. If WITCH has a need for best engineers, they will raise TC to the level of FAANG. Your argument is invalid.Sep 29 4
- If you feel (3) is that easy, why don't you try that yourself?
Regarding (1)- any fix won't affect people already in queue
(2) how does it impact GC queue?
- We know FAANG is not bringing managers from India. Their managers are home grown product. We also know that more than 50% of Indian EB1s are in the EB1C category and that proportion suddenly spiked after 2012-2013.
Why would you not disclose the TCs of your "highly qualified" friends and family? TC will tell us how "qualified" they really are.
- If > 300k then fine. But you should be aware that a whole horde of EB1Cs in WITCH are < 150k. And it's not just WITCH. There are smaller crapshoot companies founded by former WITCHers who are also heavily using EB1Cs.
Money doesn't prove qualifications, but is highly correlated with it. Anything less than 200k for international managers is a fucking joke.
- OP there are many ways to come into this country. Some do it one way some do it another way. Sadly our way hasn’t been the most effective. That is all that it is! Are you going to decline a GC if that bill actually passes?
There was an opportunity, people took it!
If you were a consultancy company employee would you have said - no don’t bend the rules to get me to the states.
No. We are selfish and we all complain when things don’t work for us. While I completely agree with your post, and things that need to happen, demonizing people is only to make us feel good. Beyond that, it doesn’t achieve anything
- Call your senators. Tell them your pain. Tell them you are a contributing member of the society. Put pressure on them. Isn’t that what got the bill started in the first place? Flawed as it might be. Chase what you want.
Remember, from the Gita - Right and wrong is subjective. Chill out ;)Sep 28 11
- Microsoft UMbR31You are not getting your GC because of American laws, not because of other Indian people! If America REALLY wanted you to have a green card, they would change their laws overnight.
A mom has 2 kids but wants to limit the number of ice creams the kids ask for. She sets a limit of 1 ice cream a week. Each kid thinks his brother is the reason he gets fewer ice creams.
- New duzJ30@facebook\babd is a racist asshole. Probably Indian. We should protect our country from these racists.
The mom feeds all her children from Pakistan, Bangladesh, Taiwan, etc, ice cream equally. As European children. The reason why children from India and China are restricted because the ate too much ice cream already.Sep 29 1
- New / Eng oBOe60more@duzJ30
No it is because the mom has LOT more Indian and Chinese children than Pakistani/Taiwanese/European children.
The mom is literally dividing one ice cream among 10 Indian children and giving 1 whole to a Pakistani one even if he is a new born baby. So the only Pakistani one gets his one while the oldest among the 10 Indian children gets that 1 ice cream.
And no I am not on backlog or anything.Sep 29 2
- Yeah, H1B is broken. Visas should go to applications with the highest salaries. Simple as that. And no, non-profits aren’t included in quota anyways
- Lol at your comments.
You have no idea about people outside the tech industry. You should acknowledge that tech industry pays higher than most other industries like insurance, banking, finance, healthcare, consulting etc. Also software engineers are higher paid than mechanical engineers, consultants, or even MBA grads. Giving visas based on salary would mean only tech industry engineers and other related domains (like PMs) get visas. There are a lot of people working in other domains at lower pay, that doesn't make them any less qualified.
I work with PhD in economics and other fields, they are smarter people than most engineers I know at Amazon or even Google. But are paid a third of their compensation.
My point is - pay is not related to talent. So giving out h1b based on pay is a bad idea.
To your point, I work in skin cancer research department. No, I don't have unlimited visa extensions. I and a 100 other people who work with me earn 5 figure or early 6 figures, most of us are on h1b visa (many of them are contractors and they are great at their work). My director who is close to retirement earns $250k (unlike a director at FB who would make a million$). He is a super talented guy, and made some significant advancements in detection of fatal diseases by syncing real world information (from smartwatches) to lab test results. You guys have no frickin idea what you are talking about. Look outside your bubble and stop being so entitled.Sep 29 3
- Amazon, exactly. TC is the best measure of labor needs. Everything else is 💩. "Labor shortage" to justify cheap H1Bs is the favorite argument for unethical operators to suppress wages.
Neurocrine, it's not that directors in big biotech/pharma are all old folks who are making pennies. I am a director, 8 YOE post PhD and my TC is way more than 250k. I bet that your same company is paying young MDs over 500k (for comparison, you can look up salaries of MDs in large cancer institutions). How did you think a large company like Novartis appointed a CEO who was barely 40?
You need to realize that this is a capitalist society and if a company doesn't pay you and raise your level quickly, it just means they don't care for you as much. You should not be staying in a place like that. My advice to you: leave the loser San Diego market (I never went there for a reason) and go to a hub like Bay area or Boston where talent is valued.
There is no need to reserve H1B/GCs for certain professions. Even if we put a minimum TC requirement of 150k in big metros and adjust by geography, backlog would be over. If you are a top researcher you have EB1A/B. For others who work in corporate world, better have high TC or GTFO.
- Uber dreamyIOP get a kid in the USA and go back to India, or get as much tc as possible. Have an exit plan. Enjoy your life. Why is GC even needed? You’ll anyway get it once your kid turns 21.
- That was my point, would OPTs and H1Bs have same per country limits they would match the EB limits, so no one would have to wait for decades to get a greencard. But with no limits it happens to be unbalanced for those folks- too many OPTs and greencards are limited. Why not make system balanced and dont torture those folks? Just limit OPTs so those who get OPTs will have short wait times.