Interviewing after taking an offer

Aug 30 17 Comments

I've been interviewing at Google and Facebook and have been invited onsite at both. I took an offer at a non-FAANG company because I've been out of work for a bit and am running low on funds (damn that rent doe).

Assuming my on-sites go well, how shitty of me is it to leave this non-FAANG company after just a few weeks, maybe a month? I wouldn't bother putting it on my resume, but that's not my concern. I'm mostly concerned about burning a bridge. Is there anything I can do to make this easier?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

TC: 190 + 400/4 + 60

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 17 Comments
  • JDA Software QkFt52
    It’s called at will employment. Unless someone you know personally vouched for you, then take the money and leave when it’s convenient for you. You are not a slave.
    Aug 30 0
  • Facebook neco
    Google's offer is good for 1yr. You can stay in your current company for 1 year and then take the Google offer
    Aug 31 0
  • Apple / Eng omgaapl
    A bird in the hand... Start at the new company, analyze the offers IF they come in, and decide then. Yes, your new company might be good to you, but ultimately, they are a business. If you died today, they would have the headcount open and forget about you in a month. Ultimately, you don't owe them anything. IF you get an offer and decide to take it, just be up front and gracious.
    Aug 31 0
  • PayPal NcLm65
    At will employment. You cant have both, either you stay or burn the bridges and leave
    Aug 30 0
  • Facebook / Eng QGhE38
    Just find an excuse like personal/family and don’t go. Leaving after a few weeks is even worse
    Aug 30 4
    • OP
      Okay but like I said, I need the money. Google and Facebook will take a couple weeks after the onsite until an offer, then another 1-2 for negotiation, then there's the big variable that is team matching, meaning I may not actually have a job for several more months.
      Aug 30
    • Facebook / Eng QGhE38
      What’s wrong with your current employer? Can’t stay for a couple more weeks?
      Aug 30
    • OP
      Company dissolved.
      Aug 30
    • Facebook / Eng QGhE38
      Well... Then go ahead... No one is blaming you because you really don’t have other choice...
      Aug 30
  • Chan Zuckerberg Initiative dncemonkey
    Either stay with current employer or take the new job and continue interviewing depending on how desperate you need the money. Also, you shouldn’t be strapped for finances like this if you work in tech
    Aug 30 2
    • OP
      > you shouldn't be strapped for finances like this if you work in tech

      Absolutely agree, however I'm new to the scene. Haven't been in the bay area making those big bucks.
      Aug 30
    • Chan Zuckerberg Initiative dncemonkey
      I see, well, if you can go for unemployment try to go for that. Personally, if there’s a guaranteed job that will pay the bills when they need to be paid you should take it. Until there’s a written offer, your chances of having cash flow might be 0, leaving you in the -, unless you have another side hustle or someone to help you foot the bill while you job hunt.
      Aug 30
  • Facebook / Eng Vegan
    If where you are is a start up and hacing prospects to grow, you should not go to FAANG but just continue there. But if you are getting a significant raise with any of the FAANGs, burn the bridge. Also. Google offers are usually valid for a year. Wait for 6 more months and then decide. And by the way, first of all get the offer.
    Aug 30 1
    • OP
      Right; I've already signed with the non-FAANG because I need the cash flow sooner than I'll (potentially) receive an offer from Google and FB (my on-sites are in a couple weeks); not to mention whatever delay will be caused by team matching (I hear via Blind that it can be months).

      Good to know that I'll likely have some leeway with the offer from Google; I hear FB also does the year long grace period.
      Aug 30
  • Microsoft nutela
    Tc is super cool with non FAANG.
    Aug 30 1
    • OP
      Yeah that's one of the factors contributing to my struggle over this decision. They went above and beyond and made an exceptional offer; I'm not even sure G/FB will offer that much... But they'd both probably be a better career move than this company in the AV space.
      Aug 30
  • New / Eng bayonet
    I had a team mate who I guess was in a similar situation because he left us after 1.5 months and his reason was that his friend started a start up and he’s interested in it. Make sure that you update you’re LinkedIn profile late if you’re gonna use this suggestion.
    Aug 31 0