I noticed that you now have to ask a cafe worker for the to-go boxes. Up till now they were placed right beside the plates at the start of the food line. Why this change in policy? Yes, you will eventually get a box but it takes longer and slows the line as sometime a worker is not standing there to pass a box. This really hinders things especially at a busy time like lunch. Why is there this change in policy?
Flagged by the community.
- I take sparkling water home. Especially if it’s late, I skipped dinner because I was working, and it’s better for the company to pay me 1 sparkling water, some bags of chips, and another snack or two for dinner than if I were to spend time ordering it or going to a grocery store. I’m sure leads would rather I write code and review diffs.
Stop judging and focus on being more productive.
- Google verysundarI think it's a good move. Some people packed boxes for the family. My manager who was L7 and an Indian used to absolutely plunder the chicken/fish counter for the kids dinner.
- 😂 I read somewhere that Starbucks in China had to remove the counter with sugar, milk, and half & half, because people would walk in, grab a table, and pour themselves a glass of half & half without buying anything at all. It’s just a cultural thing and nothing to do with racism.
- Amazon MemeMagicSuch a classic, who would’ve thought free stuff leads to rationing? lmfao
- My neighbor (American) works at FB and I have seen her with fb lunch boxes at home
- New / Eng blindorHow do we fix this problem to avoid the elimination of perks?
(You would think it should be common sense for people to act responsibly, but clearly another way is needed to fix this)
- How about literal rationing? It doesn’t even have to be squeezed, you give each employee enough “tickets” or whatever to have a breakfast, lunch and dinner every day, hell even toss an OT meal in there, that would eliminate people taking home tons of food unless they want to skip eating at work
Though i understand that can be seen as “aggressive” too, im just a lowly engineer that has to pay for his own food 🤷♂️
- Mostly food waste/abuse. It depends on the cafe. Cafes with lots of traffic might ration them out at dinner time so you're not feeding an entire household.
- Do not think it is a Asian thing. A white girl i used to work with who was from easy bay, would never go out with us for lunch, always having something her boy friend bought the previous night from Google
I think google unknowingly promoted this culture by allowing carry out with no oversight thinking that it will make people stay late and be more productive
At linkedin we have on kitchen which serves dinner, limited menu and no carry out. Most people so not ever stay till 7 and they encourage that you can your own dinner and expense it. Since someone will be looking at expense report, it stops abuse of the system
Why not eliminate carry out and allow expensing dinner which requires manager approval
- Think about it, if i have family and i am taking out nice dinner for myself will not i want to take more so rest of family can have some or i eat nice meal and they can have some other quick fix.
Take out dinner policy is weird, in my humble opinion is should taxed, regardless. Company provided meals should be consumed at worked
This comment was deleted by original commenter.