Is NYC dating scene better than Bay Area for Indians?Feb 3
I’m an Indian in his early 30s. I work for FANG. Is NYC dating scene better than Bay Area for someone like me? I’m considering moving there just to improve my odds of dating. I don’t mind dating women with different ethnicity.
Please share your experience.
- Amazon / EngnetscapeOGNYC has far more diverse people from different backgrounds. So yes, your odds are probably higher.
- Simple - There are close to 9 million people in NYC, half of which are female. On the other hand, San Francisco has a population of about 900K. Doesn’t take a genius to realize that your odds of getting laid in NYC are increased tenfold just by being there.
- making a six-figure salary in New York is like minimum wage. Nobody is impressed with that. Maybe a $1000000 salary might impress people.
In NYC, my neighbor's apartment sold for 7 million dollars, and another apartment down the hallway rented for $21,000 a month.
- What a idiotic statement. Only 25% of households make above 6 figures in NYC:
Just because your neighbor sold an expensive property and another has high rent, it doesn’t mean that six figures is minimum wage. In fact, six figures puts you well above the average salary in NYC.
One of the most expensive private residences in the world is located in Mumbai, but I wouldn’t go around saying everyone in India is rich. I honestly worry for the future of squarespace.Feb 51
This comment was deleted by original commenter.
- Bloomberg Terminal!You can find people here coming in from all ethnicities and various industries. There are lot of meetups / parties and fairly active people on the dating apps as well. There is a decent amount of Indian population in NY/NJ as well. But again, in the end it depends on you.
- I would say yes because in Bay Area you have to compete with 100 other Indians.
- I worked in NYC for a major bank (SDE) in 2012. A female coworker told me she had sex with a mutual friend just so he’d “stop bothering her about it”. To give you an idea of what’s available there 😉
- There is no “someone like you”. Figure out why a woman might want to date you and the rest is easy.
Hint: start with what does a woman want
- Amazon ConorMcGreWhat do you mean someone like you? Is your self esteem high? Perhaps you're letting the stereotypes get in your head? Have you done the necessary things like exercise, groom, take lessons to clear your accent (if you think this is bothering you?), And hygiene? Have you practiced no-fap? Then have you taken action to actually approach women? If most of these are no then your chances in NYC will be no different from SF.
- Apple / Engmegamex@OP is dating scene ‘that bad’ in the Bay — that you’re thinking if moving?
- Apple apbobI've heard plenty of female friends in NYC complain about the lack of good men there. The thing I've noticed about them over my bay area peeps (and this just might be my friends):
- They all dress better than people around here. By a mile., Not all flashy and name dropping, but seem to have a lot more taste and style. Even when they are "jeans casual" it's still tasteful and stylish. But that could be for any city outside the Bay Area I suppose.
- They want a high-earner. Not in the gold digging sense and they also have higher incomes, but as one friend said "It's stupid expensive here. If I'm going to start a life with someone I want to make sure we can afford a good quality of life together. In Manhattan or Williamsburg." So there is that.
- There is always an overshadowing of wall street d-bags. I can call them that because I was one once. Overwhelming confidence and general douche-ry.
One of them said that New York is the place where you make more money than other places but it's just spent on the kind of expenses that only exist in New York. Like the city tax.
I know San Francisco is the most expensive real estate in the country, but take a look at the crappy apartments the same amount of money gets you in NYC. Pre-war anyone?
I think it's about equally easy to meet women in NYC as in SF. I actually found SF easy because it seemed like if you assume a 50/50 split of men and women, then you peel off a chunk of the gay population, if you are a decent guy that shows up on time and is positive and fun, you will have no shortage of dates.