Here is my situation.
1. I have a 5 year old Camry. Pretty decent car. I drive only on weekends.
2. Booked the Tesla model 3 when it was announced couple of years back. Now it is ready to order (delivery in 2-3weeks). The default configuration is long range battery, premium interior and rear wheel drive. Priced at $48k. With self driving capabilities and auto pilot it coming to $58k.
3. If it buy it now I get 10k in Federal tax incentives (effective saving of 3.5k given my tax bracket is ~35%).
1. I don't use the car much. The Camry will last at least for 10 more years if not more.
2. I can sell the Camry and effectively pay the same monthly payments after tax savings and gas savings. But I need to pay that for another 5years.
3. Fully dependent on electric.
4. I haven't seen the car except in the YouTube reviews.
5. I can absolutely afford ("waste the money") the car.
6. Feel good factor. Status symbol, Nice car, saving the environment (have a house and planning to go solar as well. So it's really saving the environment not the electricity from burning coal).
Whatever saving you gain, I would travel and experience new adventure.