I have an offer from OCI with a TC of $190k in Seattle.I was wondering if it would be a wise decision to join it right now? How rampant are layoffs? Are layoffs individual performance dependent or is affected by things outside your grasp? Has there been any recent layoffs?
104 VOTES SELECT ONLY ONE ANSWER
TOP 85 Comments
- My recommendation is stay away if you are on a visa. Things are in flux. Also the age of good offers are over. So the question is low offers for higher risks.
- Layoffs were in OCI as well. Last one was in March, had nothing to do with performance. They also let go of a bunch of low performers in June/July. There is a rumor the next one is either in September or November. In the March layoffs, they let go of people who joined in January, there was a guy on our team
- Amazon / Eng NewEndaevoLet me put it like that: I had a phone call scheduled with a recruiter from OCI today. He did not call. That sums it all
- Ignore all those naysayers. I have been at oci for almost five years. Know things inside out.
People who complain, either those who are outside oci and jealous of our tc or within oci who are low performers. Good people are busy building things. They don’t have time for shit. People who complain, they are too lazy working from home and too frightened cause their gravy train is about to end.Aug 7 2
- I also heard that internal hiring process was made slower so that RIFd employee doesn’t get rehire. What a shit company 🙈
- @op, A lot of people left that team earlier this year. I knew an engineer who was very talented and went to FB. According to him, the environment in the team is not good, very highly political, people are having a hard time getting things done. Following that another engineer also jumped ship. That product doesn’t have sound fundamentals and you will be working on cleanup
- Oracle eijrbri4jsurprised by all the No. successful or not oci is not going away for a while and lot of Dev work available
- Apple d37sk38I’ve heard that OCI recently had to start budgeting their hiring / salaries and has resulted in lower starting TC and lower refreshers (though they’ve never been great at refreshers for everyone). Could just be a rumor from one of the many people I know at OCI but I do know a lot of people there coming up on a cliff and looking to leave. Most of them expected it though from when they started there in 2015. No one believed it would be successful but switched anyways because it was a huge salary bump for the time being.
- Oracle / Product scloud333Yes, it's safe! Check all the announcements made this week at OOW? 20 more data centers coming in the next 12 months, VMware partnership, stronger relationship with Microsoft, tons of enhancements and new products for SaaS which btw run on OCI, Autonomous Linux which again is on OCI,etc. I am very optimistic about what we have delivered so far and what's lined up for the next months. FYI, I've been with Oracle for 5 years and yes, it's not a perfect company but I recommend Oracle and OCI 100%!!!!