Antagonizing every major US ally/trade partners
$5b on a useless wall
Shutdown affecting hundreds of thousands of federal workers who will struggle to pay loans/bills/luxuries slowing down the economy little by little.
Oh and pure utter incompetence with not a care for anything except his own image.
- Oracle iOFR21Anyways Obama did nothing but talk the entire 8 years except stupid obamacare and we are still suffering from high insurance premiums.
- It’s not paying for others. It’s the fact universal healthcare is sold as this amazing system. Which it is not. And please don’t say it is cause you have not used it. Take it from someone who has lived and worked in 3 different countries
So the choice you are giving is a very crappy universal healthcare for everyone or have a varied form of healthcare that depends on what you can afford . If I work hard and I want to provide my family with the best healthcare that is my choice and I don’t want it taken away
- Well bud get a brain first then we will talk. Right now I am sorry to hurt your fee fees. Still waiting to see the receipt of your donation that you were gonna make in lieu of taxes to the inefficient government. Start with children’s cancer research. You want others to pay taxes. Set an example and donate your money. Directly to the source rather than giving it to an incompetent government
- NoobDev, I have used it, extensively, and the US system, extensively, and for serious issue requiring surgery in both countries (unfortunately) with ongoing specialist care.
I can tell you the Canadian system is absolutely better.
Is it perfect? No. But it's a lot closer than the US system which has far more issues.
- Healthcare expense per capita in the US is the highest in the world. I keep saying, keep believing that your system is great and the US is the best place in the world, which is absolutely not the case at all. But most Americans have never lived abroad or don't even hold a passport...
The fat lady argument is moot. People don't go to the doctor if they need to choose between food and healthcare. There is no doctor reminding them to have a healthier life because they haven't been to one in decades. Prevention saves lives, besides just helping people not spiraling into chronic illness. This is why women get free and automatically booked PAP and mammal cancer tests every other year in most parts of Europe, for example.
- Cool story bro. Trump is the president, which makes him far more competent than you.
- Microsoft leet_awayYou should be thankful that non-essential parts of the government are being paused. This should be made permanent. It’s not like they cannot find any new jobs in the private sector.
- For example, no one in the secret service is getting paid now and at some point that will eventually be forced to quit to go find jobs that actually pay
Ditto TSA, border security, and coast guard.
They are being told that they are essential and have to work, but if it goes on long enough they can just resign.
- @Amazon Untrue. Some agencies do get paid. Part of Secret service gets paid too. Check your facts before posting a doom and gloom idea to fit your narrative:
Flagged by the community.
- It won't get "cut" but all these agencies will start to see massive attrition as people start missing mortgage payments and such they will just quit to take jobs that actually pay.
TSA is already seeing lots of people calling in sick, and that will go on to being people just quitting until they don't have enough staff to keep the airports open.
- This Friday they will miss their first paycheck. At that point a small number of them will miss a mortgage payment. Let it go another paycheck and a lot of them will miss their mortgage payments. Another one after that and buying groceries will become difficult for some.
None of them can go on without pay for the months years Trump says he is willing to keep the governnent shut. After a couple of months airports will have to be closed because TSA won't have enough staff to secure them.
I guess Trump already knows he will lose in 2020 and at this point just doesn't care anymore.
- Welcome to reality. Most Americans are only a paycheck or two away from living on the street. This Friday is the first one for 800,000 federal employees who in the next month collectively owe 249 million in mortgage payments, not to mention other bills.
Sure most may weather through if this gets resolved in the next week or two, but there is no sign Trump's going to negotiate in good faith and he says he is happy to keep the governnent shutdown for months if not years
So this will drag on, and in that case these essential workers like TSA and secret service will have to think seriously about quitting to find jobs that actually pay.
- Eliminating tariffs is what led to the jobs moving overseas in the first place. I’d rather see an reverse tariff for US exports in the form of tax cuts on goods which are exported rather than no taxes on goods being imported.
Adam smith described it best in “the wealth of nations” by saying if one country makes the best wine, another makes the best cheese, and a third makes the best wool sweaters and all nations protect their trade and skills, then everyone can eat fine cheese, drink fine wine, and wear wool sweaters.
Granted most jobs that come back from China at this point will just be jobs to oil the machines that will build everything, but it’s better than outsourcing everything and training countries like China on how to do things cheaper and better to compete with us down the road. But, we may be too dependent on globalism at this point. Trump’s mind is still locked in the 80s when we still had a chance to keep America great. We won’t get anywhere with this trade war with China. We ought to just be using a combination of the stick and the carrot to keep businesses here.
- The job of government isn’t to look out for the best interests of share holders. It’s to look out for what’s in the best interests of the economy. What Trump should to doing is to try and level the playing field. Then businesses will do what’s best for the company. The only thing trade agreements should be about is requiring the same rules that exist here be imposed with trade partners. If you want to outsource to China, then China needs to pay the effective local labor wages as a US worker, be provided the same benefits, and the company must follow the same environmental laws as the US. Otherwise, tax all goods from that country accordingly.
Free trade isn’t any of these trade agreements talked about today. Free trade is letting each country be free to govern its own trade with each country. What we have today is managed trade, created and managed by multinational corporations to the benefit of themselves. There is zero loyalty to any nation state.Jan 82
- Are you just intentionally misreading everything to sound ignorant or do you not know what effective local labor wages means? And North Dakota isn’t a nation state. We’re talking about international trade remember? I could care less about the race to the bottom in labor wages in the states. That shit doesn’t matter. You’re just changing the location of where the economic activity takes place and not the net economic activity as a whole. Outsourcing jobs overseas lowers our net economic activity since those jobs aren’t paying taxes and contributing to the economy here.Jan 83
- Except it’s the best economy statistically in the history of the US. Other than that, you are right.
- New / ITrcafelanrdYour forgetting he is cutting food stamps. Along with, funding for it to stop in February due to the shutdown.
You also forgot that BREXIT is coming. The Bank of England is saying it’s another Great Recession.
Russia is doing Cold War crap.
China”s economy is “slowing down”; whatever that means.
- Autodesk senatorThis is the thing that I keep looking at. The situation in the US is not that good with the infighting and party politics but for the most part it’s an internal struggle with a few noticeable outside consequences.
Brexit on the other hand is an internal struggle that is basically all external consequences since that shit show ending in a bad agreement pretty much instantly fucks up the worlds economy. It might only be a short term major issue but those tend to be pretty bad and have a lot more cascading issues attached to them.
- You give him too much credit. Trump has no idea what he is doing. He takes directions from his handler.