Joining Amazon on H1 receipt

Intuit / Eng Ytrfdetuhv
Nov 27, 2018 68 Comments

I want to join Amazon on h1 receipt.I can’t wait till my transfer gets approved.Life is hell at my current company.Is anyone joined on receipt. can some one suggest.I asked immigration lawyers from Fragomen but they said it’s my decision and amazon have lesser denial rate.I have computer science background from under grad and grad.I am switching from developer to developer role.Will there be any risks?

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 68 Comments
  • Deloitte / Consultant
    ayyylmao

    Deloitte Consultant

    PRE
    Deloitte
    ayyylmaomore
    I’m going to pop some popcorn and enjoy a good chuckle when a large number of you get denied in a few months and your companies are unwilling to relocate you en masse. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.
    Nov 27, 2018 15
    • Deloitte / Consultant
      ayyylmao

      Deloitte Consultant

      PRE
      Deloitte
      ayyylmaomore
      You can question my motives just as readily as I can question your intelligence. Go right ahead: prepone and do the needful.

      Also: as a citizen, I have every right to be concerned with who does and does not immigrate here. I also have a say in it through my elected officials. Get used to it. You see, that’s how it works in a representative democracy- a basic concept in elementary school level civics that you’d do well to learn before questioning whether I should get a say in who does and doesn’t come here. If that is news for you, you really aren’t as smart as you think you are.

      You, as h1bs, don’t get a say at all, unless and until you complete the process; whether you will or not is an open question given the circumstances, since you insist on jeopardizing your status for questionable reasons. Like I keep saying, what you all are doing is shortsighted and you will deservingly reap what is coming to you when it backfires. /sigh
      Nov 27, 2018
    • OnDeck max2387
      Lol man this guy seems to be really frustrated. He is talking BS I am going to block him coz seriously don't have time for jerks like him. May be his manager is an h1b and has made his life miserable. Seems like he deserves it :)
      Nov 28, 2018
    • Amazon Jm22
      He is glorified trumpie who thinks he got a gold medal for being a citizen. These xenophobic pigs are exactly the reason why there are hate crimes in this beautiful country.
      Nov 28, 2018
    • OnDeck max2387
      He might be a former h1b who got his GC. Most of the citizens have no freaking idea about this visa crap. So he could be a former h1b :)
      Nov 28, 2018
    • OnDeck max2387
      Let's not discuss him and discuss the issue. Going on receipt, so sad we have to go through all that crap
      Nov 28, 2018
  • Salesforce / Eng 007🐯
    who says slavery is abolished?
    Nov 27, 2018 3
    • Google / Eng Bluths
      That’s a ridiculous point. You’re free to leave the country whenever you want. H1-B is a privilege, not a right.
      Nov 27, 2018
    • Wayfair pbSy87
      Just because you are born in the US doesn't mean you are entitled. Remember just because you work at Google doesn't mean you can take credit for what Google is today. In the same H1Bs are entitled in the same way you are.
      May 28
    • Google / Eng Bluths
      No idea what you’re rambling about. I never took credit for Google.

      For what it’s worth, I am on H1B. You are the one who thinks they are entitled to a visa. You’re not dumbass.
      May 28
  • Amazon Jm22
    Join on receipt. My co-worker had a rejection on H1B transfer so he moved to Canada and came back on L1A. He got his GC in 6 months.
    Nov 27, 2018 7
    • Amazon Jm22
      MS to Amazon, non speciality occupation. He was posted in Vancouver. Amazon will find a similar position for you abroad (and not abandon you) - as per HR policy.
      Nov 27, 2018
    • This post is the reason why we are in a mess..

      Thanks to fake and frauds getting gc
      Nov 27, 2018
    • Amazon Jm22
      What? This is completely legal- no one would love to uproot 300k salary and take your kids and wife outside of US - only to get paid peanuts and no guarantee of L1A approval. When times get tough you get tougher- this is the way you beat ethnic cleansing!
      Nov 27, 2018
    • Deloitte / Consultant
      ayyylmao

      Deloitte Consultant

      PRE
      Deloitte
      ayyylmaomore
      Screenshotted. Welp I’m gonna report this fraud-filled loophole to my congressman
      Nov 27, 2018
    • Amazon Jm22
      Please do. Hopefully that will save my 100 years long wait for getting GC and reduce H1 denials.
      Nov 27, 2018
  • OnDeck max2387
    That's BS. Is it Fragomen?
    Nov 27, 2018 17
    • Parallon Hellyah
      They have provided backup options.. But I don't think waiting is an option
      Nov 27, 2018
    • OnDeck max2387
      Mine says BA BS MS PHD in computer science or related field. That should be good right?
      Nov 27, 2018
    • Intel Intelegacy
      This should be fine provided you have CS degrees in grad and undergrad, your chances of approval would be high is what I assume. This is what a general sense which I could get From denied applications, I am not a legal expert though
      Nov 27, 2018
    • Intel Intelegacy
      @parallon if you have backup options you should be fine. Joining on receipt can be stressful which is another downside of it
      Nov 27, 2018
    • OnDeck max2387
      Yeah I have undergrad in IT and grad in CS
      Nov 27, 2018
  • Intel Intelegacy
    I am also joining the ship. Planning to join on receipt. It doesn’t make sense to wait for approval as the current wait times is close to 8 months and there is no assurance that they would open up premium on February considering the huge backlogs they have.
    Nov 27, 2018 0
  • Intel Intelegacy
    True. Blind posts has been over pessimistic about H1B transfer on receipt
    Nov 27, 2018 0
  • OnDeck max2387
    Yeah it's sad man. But can't wait for 5-8 months
    Nov 27, 2018 0
  • Parallon Hellyah
    Told recruiter today joining Amazon on receipt.. They seemed okay for waiting till March and then a bit shaky.. But in the faq fragomen sends to employers there is a rescind clause if transfer takes longer than what business need demands.. I don't know right or not, but decided to take the risk. Also hate current job. Can't think of waiting till potentially May if I upgrade to premium and then get rfe which pushes the process longer. On another note, what if uscis acts sadistic and doesn't reopen premium. :/
    Nov 27, 2018 2
    • eBay Wdvsu
      Where do you find that in faq?
      Nov 27, 2018
    • Parallon Hellyah
      I deleted the image since it said Amazon Confidential. Anyway its in the faq for recruiters pdf on page 2.. First paragraph
      Nov 27, 2018
  • Apple
    aaplpicker

    Apple

    PRE
    Western Digital
    BIO
    I'm the Boss!
    aaplpickermore
    I joined Apple on receipt and things worked out just fine. Just got my approval few days ago. It's a risk that you would take. Only you can decide whether it's worth it or not. By NOT joining on receipt, you could risk losing the offer if the company were to freeze hiring and lose out on high salary for few months. By joining on receipt you could run into risk of getting rejection which could complicate your status. In my case my company assured me that they'll do everything to make sure I'm on good status if I join on receipt. So it gave me confidence to make my decision. Timeline wise it took almost 3 months from filing to approval since there is no premium processing currently.
    Feb 10 1
    • Apple
      aaplpicker

      Apple

      PRE
      Western Digital
      BIO
      I'm the Boss!
      aaplpickermore
      So ensure you get this commitment from your employer
      Feb 10
  • OnDeck max2387
    There is one thing that u shud definitely do and I am also doing that is ask ur lawyers to send a draft copy and check everything before they file to make sure everything is good
    Nov 27, 2018 1
    • Parallon Hellyah
      I asked them but they said no. I told them my current company had allowed. But still no
      Nov 27, 2018
  • OnDeck max2387
    Yeah I think that's how it is everywhere. But like I have said I feel like good company degree and work align and good base shud be safe
    Nov 27, 2018 0
  • Intuit / Eng Ytrfdetuhv
    OP
    So so many are in same boat as me and joining on receipt
    Nov 27, 2018 0
  • OnDeck max2387
    Again if the company is good ur base salary is good and ur degree is related to ur work then I doubt there will be issues
    Nov 27, 2018 0
  • Parallon Hellyah
    Yes I understand.. I think my hiring manager was okay to wait. But only for another 3-4 months. But the future after that was shaky. I have 2 years left on my current h1b. I decided to join on receipt because if things do go south, atleast they can refile early, and in the mean time I'll get some experience in a better company than current one. Mine is not a developer /swe position but my masters and previous work experience is in line with my new role.. Also I believe there's a lot of uncertainty in current environment due to absence of data regarding transfers. I would like to think that denials are not as common as people are being made to think they are. Maybe I'm just optimistic
    Nov 27, 2018 0
  • Oracle zyxw
    Also in case uscis doesn’t open premium in feb, I will be in the same boat as yours 🙂
    Nov 27, 2018 0
  • Oracle zyxw
    I don’t think it’s too much of a problem. Specially if your undergrad and grad both are in cs. You can ask your manager about the backup plan in case something happens to the H1b petition(1-2% chance). There was a rescind clause in the letter I got from fragomen too ( and it did spook me too), but I had a call with my hiring manager and explained him the situation. He was ok with it.
    Nov 27, 2018 0
  • Oracle zyxw
    Same conditioned. I decided to wait for H1b to come.
    Nov 27, 2018 0
  • Amazon botnetlove
    you should be fine. worst case it's denied they'll refile as long as your i-94 is valid. Or they'd move you to EU/Canada office and move you back after a year
    Nov 27, 2018 0
  • OnDeck max2387
    I am also joining Bloomberg on receipt same Fragomen and they told me denial chances are really low. If your base is good and u have CS background then I am sure it should be fine
    Nov 27, 2018 0
  • Google / Eng Bluths
    It depends. Are you okay with having to leave the US? If so, go for it.
    Nov 27, 2018 0