Joining amazon on h1b reciept

New svwD51
Feb 20 30 Comments

On H1b trying to transfer to Amazon lab126 Is it too risky u on join on reciept? My current company (startup)may not be around in 4 to 6 months from now by the time visa transfers.

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 30 Comments
  • Overstock.com wPtI73
    OP- if you are sure, your company won't last for longer and there is potential layoff. Join on receipt because if something goes bad at your present company, you will anyways have to join on receipt. People who get laid off, have 60 days to find a job. They don't care about transfer getting rejected. High risk, high reward but at the end make an informed decision.
    Feb 20 0
  • Western Digital
    rzx

    Western Digital

    PRE
    IBM
    rzxmore
    I joined Lab on receipt as soon as I got it. Took 4 months for approval to come through.
    Feb 20 0
  • PayPal intern-hlp
    Don’t join, I just got an RFE 😢
    Feb 20 7
    • New svwD51
      OP
      They will amend and resubmit right? You can still keep working?
      Feb 20
    • PayPal intern-hlp
      Yes, I can work till it’s denied.
      Feb 20
    • New svwD51
      OP
      What was the timeline when did you apply
      Feb 20
    • PayPal intern-hlp
      It was applied around last week of October.
      Feb 20
    • RackWare WdGfe4
      A little details would help. What role? Do you have a master's? If yes, which branch?
      Feb 20
  • New svwD51
    OP
    I have asked my hiring manager for a fallback plan if for God forbidden reason my visa gets rejected.
    Feb 20 4
    • HP / Mgmt PLNS47
      What fallback plan is it?
      Feb 20
    • New svwD51
      OP
      Working from remote location maybe I don't know I have asked him will update as soon as he gets back
      Feb 20
    • Please do update when you hear back. I think the sanest option is back to your home country or Canada
      Feb 20
    • HP / Mgmt PLNS47
      There is a lot of risk with that too: once rejected is on record, subsequent attempts are highly likely to be rejected too, if you have a green record, then this is black mark on it. 2. Finding opportunities to come back. If same team, probably this is not a problem. But sometimes, you may be sucked into a canada team and moving to US team becomes difficult after a year
      Feb 20
  • HP / Mgmt PLNS47
    Sorry to hear, Paypal, no worries, will be fine
    Feb 20 4
    • PayPal intern-hlp
      Thanks, this is why I wouldn’t recommend joining on receipt. Now it’s a stress for me.
      Feb 20
    • HP / Mgmt PLNS47
      True, any light you can shed on what caused RFE will be great for the others like me here. What are your suspicions?
      Feb 20
    • PayPal intern-hlp
      It should be my education. I don’t have a masters degree and bachelors from India in a non-cs background) Senior Data Analyst)
      Feb 20
    • HP / Mgmt PLNS47
      Oh ok
      Feb 20
  • Bank of America / Data tSWv17
    OP - when was your transfer petition filed and did you already get the reciept?
    Also, it's a definite risk to join with just the receipt but lots of people have been doing it - I've been contemplating the same..yet to decide.

    Good to talk about the backup with your manager and recruiting partner (lawyers can't say or do much in case of a potential issue).
    Feb 20 2
    • New svwD51
      OP
      submitted all the documents they will file by next week I guess
      Feb 20
    • Bank of America / Data tSWv17
      OP - well frankly any petition applied after Dec 21st, 2018 is kinda in the same bucket as next USCIS update (whenever it might happen) should enable everyone to upgrade to PP.

      I'd say delay your decision making until your transfer petition receipt arrives as it takes awhile to get to that point (lawyer submitting petition + uscis generating reciept related delays) because PP might have resumed by then for every petition - keep those fingers crossed buddy. 🤞
      Feb 20
  • HP / Mgmt PLNS47
    What is your TC at amazon and yoe?
    Feb 20 1
    • New svwD51
      OP
      Yoe:4 TC: 140k 45k joining bonus, 35 for 2nd year 80 stocks over 4 years 5,15,40,40
      Feb 20
  • Tesla nononsens
    Why not go through premium processing?
    Feb 20 1
    • Amazon sde007
      It’s not open yet for all petitions
      Feb 20
  • Amazon manduckpig
    With the constant immigration law changes currently, I would say it’s risky. Wait for the transfer to be approved by USCIS and then move to Amazon.

    I wouldn’t suggest this an year ago but now I definitely will.
    Feb 20 0
  • Microsoft hf4ufd
    Not at all. Go ahead and join them.
    Feb 20 0
  • New svwD51
    OP
    Premium processing is canceled and currently opened for people who submitted before Dec last week I guess
    Feb 20 0