Joining new company on H1B receipt. Any risks?

Microsoft / Eng
Lumineer

Microsoft Eng

PRE
Microsoft
Lumineermore
Feb 6 27 Comments

I have been assured by recruiters and attorneys that there is very less probability that my h1B transfer petition will be denied. If that happens, the company will re-file my petition.
Is there any unknown risk associated that i might not aware of?

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 27 Comments
  • Cerner Czfx65
    You can hold off until feb 19th to see if premium processing resumes or not. If not join on receipt if you have Masters in CS.
    Feb 6 2
    • Microsoft xxx10
      There is no formula of masters in cs, it depends totally on his luck and on officer who will check his Petition
      Feb 7
    • Cerner Czfx65
      I agree but same applies to extension/ammendment as well. There is no guarantee at all in any case.
      Feb 7
  • Apple
    aaplpicker

    Apple

    PRE
    Western Digital
    BIO
    I'm the Boss!
    aaplpickermore
    I joined Apple on receipt and things worked out just fine. Just got my approval few days ago. It's a risk that you would take. Only you can decide whether it's worth it or not. By NOT joining on receipt, you could risk losing the offer if the company were to freeze hiring and lose out on high salary for few months. By joining on receipt you could run into risk of getting rejection which could complicate your status. In my case my company assured me that they'll do everything to make sure I'm on good status if I join on receipt. So it gave me confidence to make my decision. Timeline wise it took almost 3 months from filing to approval since there is no premium processing currently. Ensure your employer gives you this commitment or has a back up plan in case things don't go your way.
    Feb 10 0
  • RealtyShares klqk62
    Which company you joining?
    Feb 6 2
    • RingCentral
      Duck-Bezos

      RingCentral

      PRE
      Yahoo, Oath
      BIO
      One life to live!
      Duck-Bezosmore
      Yeah. Answer this first!
      Feb 6
    • Microsoft / Eng
      Lumineer

      Microsoft Eng

      PRE
      Microsoft
      Lumineermore
      OP
      I am joining Twitter
      Feb 6
  • LinkedIn Amazonia
    If you have masters in CS and joining as a software eng, it's worth it to switch on receipt. Otherwise, wait.
    Feb 7 1
    • Amazon / Eng
      Amazinc

      Amazon Eng

      PRE
      WeWork
      Amazincmore
      What about someone having Masters in Information Systems and joining as Data Architect? Undergrad in CS as well.
      Feb 7
  • Infinera nG0!#@
    🍿
    Feb 6 0
  • Juniper jDGN45
    Hiring manager should wait
    Feb 6 8
    • Juniper jDGN45
      I got it in 3 months
      Feb 6
    • Cerner / Eng Zenobia
      @Juniper - Did yours get transferred to another location? My friend’s application got moved from California to Nebraska after 3 months.

      My receipt date was in late December. Waiting to hear from USCIS.
      Feb 6
    • Microsoft / Eng
      Lumineer

      Microsoft Eng

      PRE
      Microsoft
      Lumineermore
      OP
      How do u get a transfer? Isn’t transfer linked to which location you are working in?
      Feb 6
    • Cerner / Eng Zenobia
      Transfer applications got to either California or Vermont centers depending upon if the company is on east coast or west.
      Feb 6
    • Juniper jDGN45
      Mine processing center was California ... My friends application was moved from California to Vermont ... He works in the Bay area ... Got h1b transferred in 3.5 months
      Feb 7
  • Cerner / Eng Zenobia
    Yeah see if they can wait for one or two weeks and then decide. No one can guarantee about rejection... even people working for FAANG have got rejection
    Feb 6 2
    • Microsoft / Eng
      Lumineer

      Microsoft Eng

      PRE
      Microsoft
      Lumineermore
      OP
      Did they get rejection in h1b transfer? What happened to them afterwards? Was the petition refiled for them?
      Feb 6
    • Cerner / Eng Zenobia
      Yes H1 transfer. Companies do reply, but I think there is a limit of 180 days or so. Not very certain about this. Some people I know moved to India’s office until their visa gets approved.
      Feb 6
  • Microsoft xxx10
    Why they can not wait., which location ?
    Feb 6 2
    • Microsoft / Eng
      Lumineer

      Microsoft Eng

      PRE
      Microsoft
      Lumineermore
      OP
      They are okay to wait but the wait time could be as long as 6 months.
      Feb 6
    • Microsoft xxx10
      It will not because premium will start soon from February 19th
      Feb 7
  • Capital One xdgydxv
    Don’t join
    Feb 6 0
  • PayPal Reykjavik!
    No one can guarantee that it cannot be denied!
    Calculate the risk if denied and take ur call!
    Feb 6 0