L1 or just switch company in India?

Microsoft / Eng Bhasmasur
Aug 24 37 Comments

Currently working in IDC Hyd. Got promoted to L61 in June. My dilemma is should I try to get to L62 and transfer to US or switch company now in India.

Motivation to go to US(Redmond) is to save money for 4-5 years and come back. To get promoted to L62 and then move, I feel overall it will take 1.5~2 years. My joining stocks will also be wiped out next year. Do they to lowball on stocks because there is not much room to negotiate when going on L1 visa?

My current TC is not great. After looking at all the India TC numbers here on blind, I feel jumping ship and getting a good hike here in India is also an option.

If you did either of the above, please guide.

YOE: 4
TC: 30 LPA (20 base)

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 37 Comments
  • Facebook MZBoZ
    Not about money but a different and valuable suggestion:

    Another thing you might need to seriously consider about moving to US is it is one way from India to US for ~98% ppl. But funny thing is all the people consider themselves they are in that ~2% and will go back to India when they first come to US. But fact is 98 is a bigger number. You want to be here for four years but you will stay here for lifetime and you will find all routes to stay here after couple of years.

    Ultimate fact i think is people ( who earn good money and work for big tech companies) are more HAPPY in India than US. But people in US can’t live US for comfort and luxury life but materialistic(not many realize it). You will like 98% live in fools paradise for all the life and it is inevitable. So I suggest you to don’t fall in this trap and seriously consider this before you make a decision to move US. But I know you won’t consider it. Because 98 is a way bigger number than 2 😂
    Aug 24 6
    • Facebook depression
      Way to judge 98% people lmao
      Aug 24
    • Microsoft / Eng Bhasmasur
      OP
      Thanks for pointing this out. I know about this phenomenon and frankly this is one thing I'm scared about. Sadly, whether there will be a change in my decision after staying there for 3-4 years is something I wouldn't know now.
      Aug 24
    • Facebook MZBoZ
      @Lollol, What am I TAKING?
      Aug 24
    • Facebook MZBoZ
      @op, As I said above, 98% there will be a change in decision for sure. You decide you want to play game if you have chances to win only 2%.
      Aug 24
    • Amazon EndGamee
      Truth.
      Aug 24
  • RingCentral / Finance
    MyLord

    RingCentral Finance

    PRE
    KPMG US, PwC
    MyLordmore
    How much you're thinking of saving during your 4-5-year stint in the US?
    Aug 24 7
    • Microsoft / Eng Bhasmasur
      OP
      Please give your reasons on why you don't agree. It will be helpful
      Aug 24
    • Facebook ralphh
      You can easily save 3X of what you save in India. Say your take home is 21 L INR right now, you spend 6L and save 15. In US your take home maybe around 120K USD, say you spend around 50k (more than enough for one person in Redmond), save 70k USD = 50L INR.
      Aug 24
    • Microsoft mfttse3h
      Until you buy a tesla to show off to your friends.. And then buy an old dingy home for 1MM
      Aug 24
    • Microsoft
      shenierb d

      Microsoft

      PRE
      Google, Amazon, Facebook
      shenierb dmore
      I think you might spend more than 50k actually. The rent itself would be anywhere close to 2k per month which is 48k and then food and other small basic stuff I would account for
      Aug 24
    • Facebook MZBoZ
      Shenierb, When did 12*2 become 48 😂?
      Aug 24
  • SAP tjjj
    Getting 30 LPA with just *4* yoe, and this doesn't look good to you?!
    Aug 24 3
    • Microsoft / Eng Bhasmasur
      OP
      I guess it all depends on one's perspective. If I feel there is high potential to get a higher TC, I like to look at that instead of thinking that I may be earning more than the majority.
      Aug 24
    • Facebook depression
      Way to humble brag lmao
      Aug 24
    • SAP tjjj
      Fair enough, just hope you know what you may be in for (in areas other than money).
      Aug 24
  • Lyft !lyft
    Rs 30 lakhs for level 61 is less. Average should be around Rs 40 lakhs. If you switch to Amazon or Google you should get Rs 50+ lakhs.

    Anyways, in Redmond level 61 engineer/pm TC should be around $150k -$175k

    I moved on L1 few years ago. x-microsoft. Same boat as you.

    With modest single person living I was able to save about 30-40% in India, and over 50% in US. Quality of life is higher in US for the equivalent money spent. My reference is Redmond. Bay area is fucked up. I would guess you double all expenses in Bay area so you may save 25%.

    When I moved, my thought exactly to stay for 5 years but after 8 years, wife and a kid it has been lot harder to decide to go back. If you have strong reasons to go back to India, may be it gets easier to decide and go back but the life style gets you settled in.

    L1 is tricky as you can't change companies but work only for Microsoft. Microsoft pays the least among all other tier-1 companies. You can get H1b once you are here and then change companies but that will take 2-3 years if not more. You can stay on L1 upto 5 years but have to return after that unless you get H1b.
    Aug 24 2
    • Microsoft / Eng Bhasmasur
      OP
      Thanks for the guidance. Does Microsoft or any Tier-1 company easily sponsor for H1B if I'm on L1?
      Aug 24
    • Lyft !lyft
      Yes, they all do.
      Aug 24
  • Microsoft REsearchie
    Salaries for L61 is not all that high in US (may be around 130K TC?) after you take in to account expenses. Also, I highly doubt if you would have much of a career trajectory here on L1. Basically you are brought in here as someone who must leave and has zero choice of any other employment so why to waste promos and bonuses on you? I don’t know much about this but it’s my guess. May be you can negotiate terms for promotions before you leave. If you end up staying at same lower levels for 4 more years it will be harmful for your long term career.
    Aug 24 0
  • Oracle My Name
    Come to US on L1 Visa. Apply for another faang company and ask them to initiate H1 visa. You will get good amount of stocks. Initiate GC and get I140. Stay here for 4 to 5 years and go back to India. Since you will have I140, you can come back whenever you want from a diff company or same company if it allows. Just my suggestion
    Aug 24 4
    • Microsoft / Eng Bhasmasur
      OP
      How easy is it to ask current company to sponsor H1 after going on L1?
      Aug 24
    • Oracle My Name
      Usually most companies won't do. but not sure about Microsoft.
      Aug 24
    • Google burnItDown
      Microsoft applies for H1 within a year.
      Aug 24
    • Microsoft
      shenierb d

      Microsoft

      PRE
      Google, Amazon, Facebook
      shenierb dmore
      If you have an approved i140, and you go to India, I thought if you decide to come back to the USA then you should start your h1b clock all over again. Is this incorrect ?
      Aug 24
  • Facebook MZBoZ
    After reading all comments after mine, op already started to fall in trap of 98% 🤣. No offense op. We all did same. Self Experience only teaches you better in this particular case. But remember smart people are who learn from others experiences not from theirs 😉
    Aug 24 1
    • Microsoft / Eng Bhasmasur
      OP
      Haha.. None taken.

      Just trying to get as much info as I can about the processes because till now I didn't even bother. I have strong reasons to stay in India for long term. Currently, I'm just looking at all possible ways to maximize savings in next 5 years.
      Aug 24
  • Flagged by the community.

    • Microsoft / Eng Bhasmasur
      OP
      Your comment aptly justifies your username.

      Have a good day 🙂
      Aug 24
  • Microsoft toiler
    If you move to US on L1, you will not get any new stocks. Also the salary will not be negotiable (HR will map your current compa ratio to US salary). But if you are a bachelor currently, your savings in US will be much more than in another company in India.
    Aug 24 1
    • Microsoft / Eng Bhasmasur
      OP
      Thanks. This is exactly what I heard. Want to know more about growth/promotions after going there?
      Aug 24
  • Hotwire Victor333
    Damn. I have 4 yoe too and my TC was roughly 20 LPA with around 16 lpa base. My living expenses were almost 0 though. You must still be already saving much more than me. Nothing to worry, go wherever you would enjoy.
    Aug 24 0
  • Google burnItDown
    If you eventually want to move to the US, the easiest way is to get to L62 and then move off.

    No matter where you switch - Amazon, Uber, Apple etc. you’d have to wait for 1.5 more years to get an L1. You might as well focus that effort in Msft because you have an upward trajectory.

    But then yes, until you get H1B you’ll be in Microsoft. So 4-5 years of Microsoft overall at an average pay.

    Also, no additional stock when you shift to US. The refresher ranges are comparable to India (10% higher probably)
    Aug 24 0
  • Dematic / Eng Larry Cook
    Coming to USA adds up a whole lot of expenses. Going to places like Bay Area for example where you’d spend most money in living a decent lifestyle and saving a little bit on the side.

    Going to any cheaper states means your base pay won’t be high enough. That said you could easily save up atleast 12 lakhs a year here in USA .. after everything that is. So you might want to think if that’s how much you save in India.
    Aug 24 0