Bonus: 45k 1st year, 35k second year
I have PhD with 4 years experience in Bay Area. I like the team and the work but offer is lower than I expected, how much room for negotiation I have ?
- Its not a low comp for L5.
L5 band is from 175 to 225..
Only crazy competing offer will fetch you more than 225
- There's not really a secret to it. Just lots of hard work.
For me, I was always working on improving my skills to jump to the next level. I started in IT, and was finding ways to try to automate that as much as possible and teaching myself web development. After a couple years in IT, I moved to web development, then did consulting for a bit, then moved into mobile. Then I decided I wanted to work for Amazon and trained myself on the data structures and algorithms I knew I needed to be familiar with to be successful.
I don't think you can succeed being self educated if it's just for the money. You have to be incredibly passionate about figuring out new things. I was hacking together websites on Geocities, jailbreaking iPhones and building simple apps since iOS 3, helping teams crack the Chromecast's DNS system and building one of the apps featured at launch, throwing together a mobile Pokemon Go tracker in an overnight binge and launching it on Android a day after I started. All these projects, and many more, didn't immediately advance my career, but they had a massive impact over time. You're going to have to spend hours at night studying to pick up the knowledge that most people get in a few years at school.
If you invest enough time and effort, you can accomplish a hell of a lot. I'm making over 5x what I was making 5 years ago and more than I ever expected I would without any kind of a degree.May 20, 2018 0
- Good L5 offer is 160base, 200k stocks, 50+50 sign-on. You got low-balled
- I got total comp first as an L5 SDE at 205K in Austin, if you're in HW tho you should expect lower than an sde
- They are cutting down on number of stocks at Amazon. Not sure you will get much. 145k for hardware is pretty good for L5. How confident are you of going in there and making a great case for senior level promotion?