Leave Tech Lead Position and NYC for Amazon L4
Interviewed for L5 at Amazon, and I got placed at L4 in Seattle. I’m currently a tech lead for a large insurance company and am curious if it’s in my best interest to take a position two levels down from my current(tech lead -> senior eng -> eng(L4)). The position would require me to move to Seattle, although there are a lot less taxes, I love nyc as I’ve lived outside nyc my whole life and my family is in the area.
Some pros to Amazon:
- Great team members.
- Challenging work.(I feel unchallenged in my current role)
- Great company/products (I cant get behind the products I’m currently working on)
- Career growth (I think upward growth in my current position isn’t something aspirational)
- I got really excited about the position in general after speaking with a couple of the engineering managers. Exciting products, an ability to work on stacks I have no experience with, finally an opportunity with some ML, ability to switch teams for the right fit, etc.
Some cons to Amazon offer:
- Lower role/ responsibilities.
- In Seattle and not NYC
- Less money. (I imagine my TC will be someone from 150 to 180k from Amazon. Currently I can bill at $100/ hour for at least 40 hours a week. Given that the money comes as as Corp to Corp, I can structure my taxes and my TC can be anywhere from 185k to 245k currently. Depending on how much I work as well.
TC: 185k - 245k (Dependent on hours worked/ how I structure my taxes)
YOE: 5 (I have a Masters from an Ivey in Machine Learning. If that adds anything)