Leaving company before vesting date

Amazon fuqX66
Jul 16, 2018 11 Comments

Is it a good idea to announce you are leaving before an RSU vest? What is the right timing? (I might not have the flexibility but don’t know yet.

Thoughts?

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 11 Comments
  • Amazon fuqX66
    OP
    What I mean is that I might get pressure from the new company to give notice
    Jul 16, 2018 2
    • Apple Lynch
      Then, give the new company pressure to load up your initial RSU grant (or your sign on bonus) accordingly
      Jul 16, 2018
    • Pure Storage / Eng P455w0rd1
      This is the correct answer.
      Jul 16, 2018
  • LinkedIn Dina
    Give two weeks notice right after vesting date. This is Amazon.
    Jul 16, 2018 2
    • Amazon fuqX66
      OP
      What if I my only choice is doing before the vesting day? Will Amazon make my last day before vesting by default? Again, I don’t know what the timeline will look like, just investigating.
      Jul 16, 2018
    • Pure Storage / Eng P455w0rd1
      When you give notice, you have initiated the first half of the termination transaction. Your employer is in control of the second half. They might take your suggestion of two weeks into consideration, but they do not have to. They could decide your services are no longer needed right now. It won’t be your decision any longer.

      It is very human to get a little upset when people break up with you. It is not just an Amazon thing, but a human thing. Why should you vest in more stock if you are not going to stick around until the vesting date? How many future vests should they accelerate for your termination convenience? Most employers choose zero.
      Jul 16, 2018
  • Lyft bekoll
    I always negotiate my start date 1 month ahead. this gives me time to quit, move, and visit home on the way
    Jul 17, 2018 0
  • Uber finger
    What company is rushing you to start? I've had start dates a full month out.
    Jul 16, 2018 0
  • Microsoft TellMyWifi
    Explain to them the situation
    Jul 16, 2018 0
  • Dont give 2 week notice in that case. Employment is at will
    Jul 17, 2018 0
  • Amazon fuqX66
    OP
    No rushing yet. I am in the pushing for RSUs as part of sign on bonus. The issue is that because the immigration process for the new country can be up to 4 months, that will take me over the vesting date by a month. If that is the case, no issue. But if immigration goes faster, I might be in a situation where I would have to walk the fine line described above. Thanks everyone for the good advice. I appreciate it.
    Jul 17, 2018 0