I do full-stack development in my XPS Ubuntu laptop and loving it, except the battery life, which is horrible. So I started thinking about a Mac. How is it these days for Java/Android/Docker development (i use intellij)? Anyone made the switch and loving it? Or vice versa? Please comment as well if you made the switch
115 VOTES SELECT ONLY ONE ANSWER
TOP 36 Comments
- Zillow Group leetax0rwhy are two shitty choices the only ones? Mac is for people who can't be bothered to understand how a computer works and Ubuntu is for people who think they do.
- New mbp keyboard is the shittest in world. Not to mention the function key in stupid touch bar
- Microsoft zx48Strange, my mid-2014 dell xps 13'' with 14.06 ubuntu with minimal tweaks is capable of living up to 6 hours. I use Mac too, but I'm not a huge fan of it, some apps are not 100% compatible with Mac OS, one example is docker networking. I use debian on my desktop already and the more I use it, the more I like it. I'm thinking of making permanent switch to linux dev env.
- New monomoMac os sucks balls. I will say this a thousand times.
The UX on the OS is terrible - the finder, slingshot, windows, terminal, and the general experience.
Gnome, Cinnamon, Pantheon, Budgie are all way ahead. They work just fine 95% of the time. Mac as a machine is great but it's way too expensive anyway.
- Amazon / PR jefe_bezosWorst part for me is the keyboard. Little tactile definition is the cause of a lot of missed strokes.
This comment was deleted by original commenter.