I see a lot of sr.managers/directors/vp's/c level people schedule lunch meetings all the time(sometimes intentionally.. i can see their calendar availability and its not uncommon to see their calendars open) and avoid paying for lunch by reimbursing their lunch while i as an engineer end up paying 15-20$ for a meal everyday.. how can i not feel pathetic about myself when i see them enjoying a free meal everyday while its out of my reach ..
- Microsoft naaamI have a feeling this is Amazon. That's where I've seen execs shamelessly eating their lunches in lunch time meetings and not ordering food for all the meeting attendees.
- $20 a day only comes out to $5k a year or so. Not really that much compared to normal tech salaries. (Assuming you’re in tech in the Bay).
Agreed it’s a Dick move though, dually so and stupidly so that they’re trying to keep it secret.
Yeah, I’d say either unionize or play the market and leave are your only outs.
- I used to think that way, until I realized how much cash I save and how much can I do with those $5k. So if there is opportunity to save that additional 5k, I would. For example, between a company that offers free food I would consider that free food cost as part of my TC.Dec 5, 20181
- Google / MgmtLovedooWelcome to capitalism. The ones on top crap on the bottom feeders. Managers make the rules. It’s the same reason why managers earn a premium, have higher reimbursement limits and get more benefits/perks, and sometimes get protected when a lesser mortal would get fired. The only antidote for the moment is to become a manager or join a more progressive company
- Amazon / EngAm A BotFree food/lunch is also a curse. When companies give lots of free perks there seems to be this unwritten agreement that you owe them more, that it’s not part of compensation/benefits.
I worked at places with a free lunch, and it was soul sucking. The worst was the only job I ever had was a startup where I sometimes felt it necessary to sleep at work on a couch instead of going home to my family. Never again.
- Qualcomm / Engdynasty001Why do you care, unless the food they seve is gourmet quality good food. At my place all they serve for a lunch meeting is shitty rubios, sandwich etc. That is so nutrient-less that you can fill up on calories without getting any essential nutrients. I bag my lunch always. Be happy that you are treating your body right and not eating crap