Women in Tech
Maternity leave and PIP at the same time?
Oct 26, 2018
Amazon / ProductAda2018more
Has anyone experienced a PIP along with announcing the maternity leave? Looks like my Manager is hinting me not to come after the Maternity leave. Any guidance? What did you do?
- Microsoft / EngWwjjwjshI would find press to talk to. They might be interested particularly these days when tech companies make enormous amount of money and paternity/maternity leave are being extended. Even Amazon extended the policy so what the manager tries to do is opposite direction of the company is heading towards. In fact, I suspect PIP is based on his unconscious bias if he is this dumb.
If I am a manager, I would be particularly more careful for giving PIP for someone going for such leave. It is calling for negative press. Even high level executives never want to face this issue so I am not sure what this manager was thinking.
Unless you have really screwed work, the manager should be let go. He will cost millions more than he contributes with his small project. He can be replaced easily but negative press is very hard to reverse and its impact lasts long. If you can, you guys should find others in similar situation and organize so that press can know the stat. When there is large number of such people, companies can’t defend just like they are hiring more women, it is not in their favor if stat shows badly for companies.
- eBay / EngjgftgcchhI think it's illegal to fire people during maternity and paternity leave. I am not sure though.
- Facebook pektokFile an official complaint in writing with HR that your manager implied that he wants to PIP you because of taking maternity leave. Further escalation would be retaliation
- Google xiao22I had a, announced transferring to another team, manager blocked the transfer, be put on PIP situation. So annoying. I think you could talk to a lawyer about employment law.
- I heard from a friend at a tech company which has a better reputation than amazon that she was rated very badly after revealing the pregnancy. And the manager kept documenting all the allegations. In that case, it’s just a set up for the failure obviously. And the press won’t help at all.