My friend screwed?

Samsung / Eng everlast
Aug 23 36 Comments

She received an offer verbally 2 days ago. She agreed and submitted background verification. The recruiter requests urgent move within 2.5 weeks she decided to submit 2 week notice since she received a congratulatory email with benefit description.

Asked her if she received an official letter so she can sign. She said the recruiter said tomorrow then today she called the recruiter and the recruiter said there's some technical difficulty hence the offer letter will be sent out either tonight or tomorrow. Today went by and she is freaking out if she gave 2 week notice too early.

What do you guys think?

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 36 Comments
  • Twitter applecider
    I think you are said “friend”.

    In all my 29 years of living on planet Earth I’ve never had someone come up to me and ask if I can post for them on Blind.
    Aug 23 4
    • Apple FPPM52
      ☝️
      Aug 23
    • LinkedIn ex-fb
      It can happen if you don’t have a Blind account and you are too lazy to create it, but for something like this, I bet the friend would create her own account.

      Plus the OP is way too anxious and knows every knitty gritty detail to be asking for a friend.

      At least I don’t would have tried to be helpful if she had been more upfront.
      Aug 23
    • VMware systemic
      I've never understand why people lie even when anonymous ? Is it to avoid looking stupid for being in such a situation ?
      Aug 23
    • Twitter applecider
      yes it’s to avoid looking stupid.

      Every post internally on your company msg boards that says asking for a friend is really op themselves.
      Aug 23
  • Google romeantic
    Someone submitted their notice without signing an offer. Interesting. What's their substance of choice?
    Aug 23 5
    • LinkedIn ex-fb
      Does signing an offer make a difference? It’s still at will
      Aug 23
    • Apple FPPM52
      You can have legal recourse. Yes it’s at will. But you can sue them for withdrawing their offer if you signed it.
      Aug 23
    • Google romeantic
      Come on. We aren't seriously having this conversation. Sure you can be fired right after signing but giving your notice without having signed an offer is a whole new level of wtf-did-i-just-see
      Aug 23
    • Apple FPPM52
      I agree. Resigning before the written offer. It’s stupid.
      Aug 23
    • Yelp / Eng sJJv80
      It is theoretically possible to sue over a withdrawn offer or very quick firing, under certain circumstances, but it’s a very hard case to make. It’s called promissory estoppel, or detrimental reliance. I’ve never heard of anybody winning a case like that.
      Aug 23
  • Google Sth
    Depends on the company, she’ll probably be fine. Unless the company suddenly decides to cut that specific headcount for whatever reason.
    Aug 23 4
    • Samsung / Eng everlast
      OP
      But technical difficulty excuse for last 2 days? Sound phony as hell to me although I dont want to be too negative but....
      Aug 23
    • LinkedIn ex-fb
      2 days isn’t too long.
      Also stop pretending it’s for your friend. We all know it’s for you.
      Aug 23
    • Kaiser Permanente vllgindian
      ^LOL
      Aug 23
    • Amazon Krustydodo
      Dem. Reality hurts
      Aug 23
  • Amazon lgtmshipit
    "my friend"... That's where you lost me.
    Aug 23 0
  • Amazon 🤠== 8
    🤨 Unplanned sabbatical
    Aug 23 0
  • LinkedIn ex-fb
    Do you also swipe for your friend on Tinder?
    If not, she can post it herself!
    Aug 23 0
  • eBay DenzelW
    Don’t count your 🐔 before they 🐣
    Aug 23 0
  • LinkedIn ex-fb
    It’s an at will offer. Receiving an offer letter doesn’t mean anything different —at least in theory.
    Aug 23 0
  • Apple FPPM52
    Never ever give your resignation before having signed a contract.
    Aug 23 1
    • Qualcomm NqAf57
      Very few employees ever receive employment contracts in the USA. Certainly not regular software engineers.
      Aug 23
  • Indeed x[-_-]x
    Oof. That hurts. Hopefully they got held up but I personally never give notice until I have an offer letter in my hand. Just too much risk to give notice without knowing if the job is for sure or not regardless of what anyone says
    Aug 23 1
    • Microsoft 🌲fiddy
      I wouldn't give 2 weeks until offer letter is signed, background check clears and you have an agreed upon start date.
      Aug 23
  • Microsoft seagull
    Hopefully the recruiter will come through but generally it’s not a good idea to resign until you have signed the offer letter, passed the background check and confirm a start date with the new employer.
    Aug 23 0
  • LinkedIn ex-fb
    If the current job persuades you to stay you can pretend that you got persuaded.
    Aug 23 2
    • Samsung / Eng everlast
      OP
      When she submitted her 2 weeks, she said current manager did mentioned to her that current project will be tough although they did not offer matching tc
      Aug 23
    • LinkedIn ex-fb
      When YOU submitted your notice, your manager asked you to stay? Is that what you’re saying?

      And let’s stop the third person drama
      Aug 23
  • Uber TcOrDie
    You hate to see that. Engineers need to take a class about negotiating with recruiters.
    Aug 23 1
    • New / Eng
      WscU36

      New Eng

      PRE
      LinkedIn, Yahoo, Oracle
      WscU36more
      Sooner as TC goes, engineers will be like professional athletes with agents to tackle the negotiation business. The better days are ahead of you.
      Aug 23
  • Microsoft orki
    where does "she" work currently ?
    Aug 25 0
  • Microsoft
    Suh Dude

    Microsoft

    PRE
    Microsoft
    Suh Dudemore
    Is she hot? What’s her TC?

    Bottom line- advise her that she take a breath. Wait another day. If nothing materializes, it may be cause for concern..otherwise- it’s as the HR professional said.
    Aug 24 0
  • Facebook stopmiring
    What's her tinder?
    Aug 23 0
  • Google MrBenDover
    Why can’t your friend ask this question herself?
    Aug 23 0
  • New / Mktg
    FTfj24

    New Mktg

    PRE
    Wix.com, Zinus
    FTfj24more
    Should be fine...just wait another 2-3 days and then follow up
    Aug 23 0