New Grad - Accept Microsoft offer or wait for Google

Amazon backlash
Oct 31 9 Comments

Copy of this post(not the owner) for Microsoft scenario - https://us.teamblind.com/s/28HazXFy

I just heard from my Google recruiter that I got approval from the hiring committee. From what I've heard, there's a fairly high chance of an offer being extended after passing the hiring committee. Is this the case, and would it be safe to decline my Microsoft offer at this point?

I'd prefer to not have to renege on the Microsoft offer, but it's the only existing offer I have at this point and I'm hesitant to decline it in case Google falls through. Any thoughts on what I should do?

102 VOTES SELECT ONLY ONE ANSWER
VOTE VIEW RESULT

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 9 Comments
  • Roku cruella
    U have heard of a bird in hand ...

    Anyways. With other faang I might have to think more. But with Google team matching and seeing what we see on blind about it taking months and sometimes not happening at all, I'd say try to extend MS offer. But don't rely too much on G, unless I misunderstood what team matching is.

    Also read here about exploding offers and suggestions on how to extend:

    https://haseebq.com/my-ten-rules-for-negotiating-a-job-offer/
    Oct 31 0
  • Salesforce mlrocks
    Did u post the same question before with Amazon instead of Microsoft ?
    Oct 31 1
    • Amazon backlash
      OP
      No. I just copied it. I have a similar scenario with Microsoft
      Oct 31
  • Amazon backlash
    OP
    Curious if 4th option will work? Would I still burn bridges with Microsoft ?
    Oct 31 1
    • Roku cruella
      i dont think it will

      leave on good terms. ur manager might like it but msft is big enough.
      Oct 31
  • As a new grad with HC approval your chances are pretty good (did you do team match yet? That’s the biggest risk). I would just email the MS recruiter saying that you’re waiting on other companies and will decide by so and so date and if they push back just tell them you can’t move that date. They probably won’t withdraw the offer. And if they do you’ll probably end up at Google or can get yourself another offer somewhere else anyway.
    Oct 31 0
  • Microsoft Euler83
    Why not just use both offers as leverage to negotiate? Tell MS you’re waiting the offer from Google and let them bid on you.
    Oct 31 0
  • Microsoft ADPw72
    It’s totally fine let your MS recruiters know that you have a competing offer from another company. I work at MS and interviewed a number of people. It’s quite common scenario.
    Oct 31 0
  • Walmart mrreese
    Did you convey you're waiting for an offer from Google? Try to stall them.

    As for Google, do you get the official offer before or after team match?
    Oct 31 0

Salary
Comparison

    Real time salary information from verified employees