Posting on behalf of a friend.
Please help decide between these two offers. Looking for faster growth, higher TC, greater learning, exit opportunities.
Sign on: 50K
RSU: 120K over 3.5 years
Facebook Menlo Park
Team: Will be assigned through Bootcamp
Sign on: 30K
RSU: 150K over 4 years
Posting on behalf of a friend.
- Microsoft Gnec moreMicrosoft Redmond. Much better for cost of living. But Facebook for learning since he/she is that early in career
- guys if u dont know about places, pls dont sound like a kid who is taught software = bay area. i lived both in cali and seattle/redmond. both has its pros and cons. i would have gone for Microsoft as Azure is a great place to grow along with shining and stable microsoft. you dont know abt team in facebook and as per my knowledge facebook does not have great work culture
- Azure has well run infrastructure. Facebook is garbage at delivering decent products. And yes I know I work for twitter and we suck as well.
- Facebook TheBozThis is a dumb question.
Should I be a janitor or an astronaut?
If you really like working with garbage pick MS
- You have to ask yourself - would you go work for Juul if they paid you enough money? If the answer is yes, then Facebook is an option for you. It wouldn't be for me.
- Amazon QiSz10Ethics is just PR bullshit. Big corporates dont really care about ethics. Given large amounts of money ethics can be compromised. Think for instance JEDI. You think Pentagon is going to use cloud services for humanitarian purposes? Knowing that they will use cloud and AI for warfare, why didnt Amazon/MSFT back out of the bidding race. The answer is simple : Profit. The same can be said for letting oil companies use these platforms. Fb on other hand is getting targetted hard recently. While I dont like tampering elections in principle you can give election ads and hamper democracy on Google as well today.... I can now say that Google is unethical as well... Would that change your mind about working for them?
Everything is grey, nothing is black or white... Dont go for ethics... Go for TC :)Nov 14 1
"Americans think Microsoft is the most ethical company. Facebook, not so much"
"Microsoft (MSFT) topped the list for the second year in a row."
"Facebook (FB), however, was a
different story: It ranked 149 overall, despite tying for first in worker pay and eighth in other employee categories. But Facebook ranked No. 915 in treatment of its customers, hurt in particular by failing to protect their privacy and communicating dishonestly, according to the survey."Nov 14 1
- I hate FB as a company but I'd say you have much better growth potential there. Your MSFT offer will come out higher the first year because of taxes + CoL but after one promotion at FB (1-2 years) you will be at 200-250k.
- Depends on what they value. If they value work life balance, Microsoft it is.
Facebook is notorious for PIPs and a high stress culture. But the TC with time will be better.
Facebook is the more respected brand among devs. Microsoft is the more respected brand in the wider world. If they care about pReStIgE, that is worth keeping in mind I guess.
Personally, I value wlb over almost anything else. I see my job as something that lets me live comfortably and nothing more than that. But what do you or your 'friend' value?
- I agree to a degree, I think the big thing at FB is a larger proportion of people trying to chase top rewards since the incentive is actually there, unlike MS (potential 3x multiplier that also applies to the substantially larger stock refreshers)
But yeah I think it's probably easier to have a good WLB at MS since there are just more people trying to optimize for that over performance bonuses (so more people follow the crowd in either direction)
- Yeah, so it depends on what they value. I personally don't care for 'top rewards'. The money is already so good in this field that I just don't care. I already know I'll be financially independent in my 30s. I know there are plenty of people like that who just don't care.
But yes, if they value 'top rewards' and promos, you likely get that at FB but it's also fair to note that they have a high PIP rate and lots of folks complain about the high stress culture. It's not for everyone. And honestly, I don't think I personally would want to work for Facebook for that reason. It's just not worth it to me.
- Microsoft / Eng cbCv23Peek around the corner. FB is fading hard. Is it really still so prestigious?
- Snapchat snappityMicrosoft is gonna blow you away with a $3000 refresher. In all seriousness, just pick FB.
- Amazon You FirstBased on what you’re looking for I’d recommend FB. Benefits will be a lot better than MS too.
- I have worked at Microsoft before. I will say FB only because you grow superfast and it is more attractive to recruiters. When I was at Microsoft, I would get a ping from recruiters maybe twice a year. When I came to Facebook it’s at least once a week!
Facebook is more attractive on resume. Microsoft is a great place to work for work life balance! But tough to grow.
- Microsoft!! Fb is shithole in my opinion - except better pay
- Lithium BruceLeeeeFacebook wholeheartedly.
Never allow yourself to fall into the trap of premature optimization and create the possible greatest regret in your life.
Yes, less wlb but you are still young and have the energy to deal with it.
Yes, toxic culture, but the more toxic environment you start your career, the more resilient IC and the more considerate manager you will become.
Yes, higher cost of living but you are not going to have kids and not going to care about single family house in good school district at least for a decade, why care. Saving money from FB is much easier than in MSFT.
Not to mention boot camp, TC, prestige, good weather, and valuable connections within Bay Area which will last for life.
Don’t settle for second best!
- Microsoft ElongMustIf you value ethic and moral then Microsoft.
If you don't care then
- Facebook pelh!One more thing to explore is to get a FB Seattle offer. One less difference to compare. I don't know if the comp is any different in SEA.
- Microsoft ddftdFaster growth: FB is well known for fast promotion.
Higher TC: FB has generous stock refresher. MSFT has nearly 0 stock refresher until rather high level. After 4-6 years, FB TC may double MSFT TC. But not sure about stock performance.
Greater learning: It depends. In Azure you can learn how to build a (more ) solid system and think more comprehensively. In FB, it promotes a "hack" culture. Not sure how much it changed after the privacy scandals. MSFT suffered from brain drain for years, you may see colleagues more talented in G/FB and learn from them.
Exit opportunities: FB is among the top. MSFT is not bad.
WLB: It differs team to team. Generally speaking, MSFT has better WLB.