I ended up at a cool startup, but the CTO, who is currently leading engineering, doesn’t believe in tests: he says they just slow us down and that developers end up spending all their day fixing tests and making code super abstract so that it’s testable, instead of producing new features.
Everyone in the team adapted, so there are basically no tests: people push their code, they manually test it that it works, and move on. Surprisingly, nothing has fallen apart yet.
We use C++ so being statically typed it makes the situation a little bit better than using Python or similar, so even without tests we can refactor a little bit without breaking anything.
I already talked with the CTO about the value of tests and he just firmly said no, he said we will do that stuff when we’ll be a big company with time to waste. (We’re 30 devs now).
Should I just interview and leave?
- Google / Eng🍑☁️Wew, how the fuck did that guy get hired? Yeah you should interview elsewhere; the company will inevitably fall apart and you don't have enough power to fix it.
- Expedia hurr_durrThis. If the business takes off, the whole thing will implode under its own weight because you won’t be able to support the growth.
I worked with one such startup where investment and customer interest took off but we simply couldn’t work fast and reliably because of the CTOs choices around testing , and recently had a friend leave an imploding startup for the same reason -they got funding and contracts but couldn’t scale due to tech stackApr 52
- Rubrik / EngCommuting30 devs is huge team already. This works fine for 2 or 3 devs but at 30 this is a liability for the team and company future
- Google SergeyBlinSeen the same at a big company. If there are no customers then nothing will break. Lol.
- Amazon ;&;&$:5$4&It’s fine to just start with acceptance tests at this stage of the product.
I disagree with no tests. Agree that excessive testing is unwarranted at this stage of the product (regardless of 30 devs).
Acceptance tests means - end use case testing that is automated and CICD pipeline is gated by that