Old grandparents - right thing to do

ServiceNow Wenajdks
Sep 17, 2018 11 Comments

My bf’s grandparents are getting older and not doing that well, he’s a foreign national and on OPT after finishing his PhD recently. He’s torn between wanting to go see them (he hasn’t been home in over 7 years) as they kind of raised him. What are his options if he were to leave the country? Re-entering May be difficult. We heard traveling out of country on OPT is not recommended and his f1 visa stamp is also expired so he will need a new stamp. He’s currently working full time here on his OPT. Should he risk being able to live in America and go see his grand parents because he may not see them again by the time his visa statuses are cleared in next 3-4 years? It’s such a tough decision!


Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 11 Comments
  • Microsoft / Eng AmYe88
    Best option is to book visa appointment and go visit the grandparents and return with new visa stamps
    Sep 17, 2018 0
  • CVS Health Midwestt
    As long as he has a valid OPT card, he should be good to enter the country. Make sure to carry all the necessary documentation. Also, consult the attorney to be on safer side.
    Sep 17, 2018 2
    • ServiceNow Wenajdks
      But his f1 stamp has expired a while ago so he would need a new stamp. Will he get a new stamp on OPT?
      Sep 17, 2018
    • Starbucks leetcodes
      No, one cannot travel outside the country with an expired F1 visa stamp nor can attend F1 visa interview as he already graduated. It sucks!
      Sep 18, 2018
  • Uber LtPM88
    I have renewed F1 Visa while on OPT - it's doable. There is nothing more important than family.
    Sep 17, 2018 1
    • SAP wmmpd
      F1 Visa is renewed on OPT itself. That is THE standard way it is renewed. But OP's question is not that. She is talking about exiting the country while the renewal is YET to happen. That is a tricky situation and is hardly a straight-forward case ESPECIALLY given the unfavorable environment in effect today. And while it may have worked for many, there's also, like I said, a good amount of risk involved. And so, as a few others have already suggested, you best course of action, OP, would be to consult an immigration attorney.
      Sep 18, 2018
  • Uber / Product

    Uber Product

    Uber, Salesforce, Google
    Personally any time I have had with the people who matter has always been primary. Also getting a new F1 stamp shudnt be that hard. Best to consult the international office of the univ.
    Sep 17, 2018 0
  • Amazon / Eng Xzbdbd
    Family comes first. Period.
    Sep 18, 2018 0
  • Glooko / Other azizlight!
    Assuming you are US citizen you can accelerate / escalate your relations into a legal one (if it's headed that way)
    Sep 17, 2018 0
  • Adobe


    Family comes above everything else. I visited my grandfather as soon as he was diagnosed with cancer. he seemed to be doing well with the treatment and I returned back to the US thinking everything will be alright. 2months later he passed away. To this day I have the pain of not seeing him for one last time.
    Sep 18, 2018 0