I recently got several offers from Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, Amazon, Microsoft, Snapchat as well as some other start-up and midsize companies like Akamai.
Here is TC, team and level:
Facebook (WhatsApp, data infra): 155k+300k (4 yrs)+100k+10%=270.5k, E4
Google (Fire base): 140k+300k (4 yrs)+50k+15%=246k, T3
LinkedIn (feed infra): 150k+250k (4 yrs)+50k+10%=240k, SDE1
Amazon(Seattle)(Amazon Go): 130k+33 rsu (4 yrs)+40k(2 year)~164k, SDE1, no argue yet
Microsoft(Seattle)(Power BI-data infra):125k+15k (4 yrs)+20k+15%+13k refresh~156k, 62, no argue yet
Snap(Seattle)(Placed backend): 140k+220k (4 yrs)+15k+15%~220k, L2
Any comments or suggestions?
Update: choose Facebook because of the tc and opportunity at WhatsApp.
- New IypJ42how much leetcode did you do? I personally would go with Facebook, but try to see if Google can match
- Congratulations on all the offers from the top dream companies.
P.S.: I follow this messaging apps domain very closely.
Now, My turn. Help me please :D
What sources do you recommend for interviews Leetcode, CTCI, EPI? System Design Interviews? Other prep tips..
Finally, the million dollar question: How do you maintain your calm & keep going? I think I'll burnout studying Leetcode everyday.
- First, thanks for your suggestion. I only use Leetcode and prepare system design by watching some online system design tutorial video both on youtube and online course website.
The most important thing at least at my level is to drive your interview in a collaborative way.
For the million dollar question, I would say don't treat Leetcode like some kind of bitter medicine, it is another way to improve you other than the engineering work.Jul 98
- Well, the user numbers from Feb 2018 show WhatsApp is ahead.
And, End to end encryption is a debatable topic here as WhatsApp co-founders left the company over a spat where the team was considering a possibility of weakening the encryption algorithm to be able to monetize data. Maybe, I am wrong because the media gets outdated news content or random speculations.
- How'd you go about preparing to crack into these? You have got an offer from almost every top company.
- I don’t understand why people are asking me I can do 600 lc. I just think if you want to improve your coding and problem solving abilities you need to keep practicing. If you are looking for a new job, this is kind of daily routine to keep your hand hot.
I am certainly rejected by some companies like ebay, Uber, pure storage and so on.
- L62 from msft and TC is still ass. So bad that SDE 1 offer from Amazon beats it (though he probably should have got/interviewed for SDE 2, and then TC could match the others at 200k +). MSFT will soon fall off all the discussion for top tech companies if they don’t adjust their comp to match the rest of the market.Jul 94
- Amazon / Eng8262674826600 lc problems 😳. How did you manage to complete them in 4-5 months while working? You must be a ninja or something. Did you get any direct lc questions in interviews?
- I use some paid course and tech blog from many companies as well as some youtube video.
Please refer to this git repo, it is really helpful: https://github.com/donnemartin/system-design-primer
- You’ve been very polite and humble in your replies, +1! Come to FB, reasons
1. They’re the most helpful and polite bunch I’ve ever worked with.
2. Bootcamp will let you talk to a bunch of teams and pick one (oh wait, you’re pre-allocated to WhatsApp? Transferring is easy between teams)
3. Growth trajectory, promotions are quicker and more common at FB compared to Google (according to Blind)
4. Stock growth potential, Instagram has a billion users and is just getting started. WhatsApp has a billion users and it’s not even making money yet
Feel free to DM me if you have any questions :-)
- LinkedIn 46ersCongrats op!
Also, wow, I always knew that Microsoft underpays, but this really puts it in perspective.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Avzx33Can you share your interview prep guide? What would you advice someone getting in the field who is not good with DS&A but is willing to do what it takes to be at at a big4 eventually?
Congrats on the offers you are a rockstar!!! Please be my Guru
- Please don't treat me as a mentor or something. Just a normal engineer. I would sugguest you to enhance and refine your basic DS&A by taking UCB CS61A/B and Princeton Algorithm (Assume you didn't take those course). Then you can work on Leetcode (or CTCI if you feel you are not feeling comfortable on LC yet.). For system design, you can take a look at https://github.com/donnemartin/system-design-primer,
For the fun side project, you can take a look at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfzlCWGWYyIQ0aLC5w48gBQJul 92
- eBay ConfuseddWow... congratulations! I would go with one of first three as well
Btw are these after negotiations?
- I would choose FB, Google, or LinkedIn. The TC deference along these three are trivial for your future growth. Not sure how you felt about these teams while interviewing, but those three sound the best. I would put FB slightly above the other two only because they leveled you higher.
If you come down to a couple choices, you should ask recruiter or hiring manager to get in touch with some engineers from the team. So you can learn more about the team and culture.
- Microsoft gdRL52moreHow were you able to time it so that you could have all these offers at the same time? Usually it’s hard to have so many companies with valid offers at the same time to negotiate them against each other.
- Indeed / EngMonads4uHow much time did you spend interviewing to get those all around the same time
- Microsoft / EngGoldenretrmoreThanks for sharing all this. Facebook seems giving you the best offer including level. If WLB is important, I would choose Google or LinkedIn. If not, Facebook. I am shocked Microsoft gave u L62. But the base looks like 61 so check on that. These days, Microsoft seniors are not treated the same as Google and Amazon so there is that if you think L62 seems promising in terms of career progress. It is quicker to go to Google then come to Microsoft. Pay at senior band at Microsoft is less than Google T4. Making Principal at Microsoft will take years unless you are a lucky 3%. Even after Principal, the pay will be smaller than seniors at G or FB.
- Mmm Facebook has better cash, but at Google you would be underleveled, so it would be easier to get great rewards and get a promotion. Any of those would be awesome.
I would personally ignore linkedin.
This comment was deleted by original commenter.
- Oracle Facebook!How did you get pre allocated to a team at FB? It is usually after their boot camp, right?
- Facebook / EngDlRg01moreHow long have you been preparing interview?
I would go for FB. WhatsApp is going to be the shining new toy I think. You will work in a start up culture and enjoy the powerful FB data infrastructure foundation.
PM me if you are interested.