Any PMs here that can share how the product group in Airbnb is, what skill sets do they look for while hiring? Is it required to have payments , hospitality industry experience or coding knowledge?
TOP 17 Comments
- Airbnb / Eng g1esWe do minimal external hiring of PMs now. Many of the new PMs transferred from engineering or design. Having a technical PM is a fucking godsend. Makes your life amazing as an EM or IC
- Generally you're going to fall into engineering, design, or policy. New PMs generally are going to have strong expertise in one of these areas which helps them frame how to approach a project.
The external PMs we do hire will either have a strong eng or design background too.
A lot of this is in response to some crappy PMs we got when we hired externally people with a "product" background.Aug 16, 2017 2
- Not every PM has a technical background, and I only know a handful of PMs who've previously worked in the travel/hospitality industry. You probably won't get an interview if you're a recent college grad or not senior enough.
- Nope not enough, PM hires are expected to have work experience in shipping and launching products. I forwarded a resume to my PM (2009 Stanford grad with 2 years of PM experience at a tech company) and it got rejected pretty quickly. "Only 2 years of experience" is too junior to be considered.Aug 23, 2017 2
- Facebook / Product Jojo jomoreI'm curious about this would they look at amount of things you've shipped from ideation to launch and scaling in the time you've worked and evaluate the skills required or look at years of experience? I've been an eng and a PM and launched/grown equivalent of what people with 5-6 years of experience at work normally have done in an extremely ambiguous/technical domain that is emerging, but worried I'll just get rejected for being a few years out of collegeAug 26, 2017 0