Please Help me decide once again:Jump ship or stay putFeb 9
I have posted this question before which I am updating as per the current situation.
I joined Bloomberg last year with a TC as follows:
Base 131.5k and Sign on 15k relocation 10k and target bonus:8k
The base is now revised to 138k and target bonus for Feb 2020 is now 15k respectively.
However I have received an propel new grad offer from VMware last year which I couldn't join because of H1b transfer is as follows
Base 125k bonus 15k sign on 25k relo: 15k
And rsu of 100k (25k per year) in Palo Alto CA
Update: The VMware base wouldn't be revised until next August probably
However they are giving me an option to join it this February if possible.
So I am unable to decide whether I should go for this entry level program (mts 2 though) by leaving 10 months exp or stay put at bloomberg
Please help me in this
- Western Digital rhrR87Do you like NYC? Are you happy in Bloomberg? I do not see substantial difference in offers. In the other hand too many unknowns by going VMware: new city, new company, new field, new manager. Many things to think about.
- I’d stay put. There are interesting teams in Bloomberg. If the other offer is from FAANG or unicorns then I’d seriously consider.
- By what date would you have the green card if staying at Bloomberg? And by what date if joining VMWare?
Seems like the earliest green card date should be your main motivation, since the compensation difference is small. Interview processes should be easier once you have it, so it's probably financially worth holding out for a larger comp increase at the earliest possible date.
C++/Python/JS is the same stack Google uses, so your career progression is in good shape if staying at Bloomberg.
This comment was deleted by original commenter.
- Google armatuWhy do you want to move? Trying to squeeze extra 10k doesn't feel like a good move. You should be looking for a project/company you like, and strong peers. This way you grow your skills much sooner and your salary will reflect that. If the money is your only motivator, it's penny wise and pound foolish. Not a good long term strategy imo.
- Uber dangitVmware HR is lying. They always can make it happen. Plus you’ll have to payback Bloomberg relocation and sign on if you are leaving before 1 year. Ymmw.
Also Palo Alto is HCOL, it’ll suck every dime out of your pocket. So better to stay where you are, gain more experience and then try again. Vmware will still be there and you probably might get in as a Senior MTS
- VMware goodboimoreI think you are the guy that called me. That was creepy AF man. But I empathize with your situation.
There isn't a considerable difference between both the offers, but I think that VMware's offer is a bit better because of the RSUs.
If it is just the 10 month experience you are concerned about, then keep in mind that over the years that experience wouldn't matter much.
- Wait for another year and try for FAANG.
The compensation raise doesn’t seem worth it.
- Google hfchIf you’re on h1b there shouldn’t be any problem with moving to FANG when you crack the interview, make sure not to start the green card until you’re ready to stay in one place for 2 years.
- eBay laserpntrPalo Alto is extremely expensive. Keep that in mind and also remind the recruiter About cost of living changes for you.