Product Manager Vs Engineering Manager : Better growth/comp etc?
Just shutting down my startup, previously was SDE 3 at Amazon, now need to decide shall I choose PM or EM ladder. What are the pros of PM ladder w.r.t EM in your opinion? My thoughts:
- Different roles w.r.t work. A personal choice.
- On average PMs are underpaid vs EM.
- A dev background can help me get promoted faster as EM.
- After VP level, both anyway converge to a GM role.
Also, can a PM move to EM roles if he later decides that its the best path for them?
A little more context:
- I am pretty good at tech/architecture.
- Have good social skills to manage people.
- Also, I am quite interested to understand business, product vision etc.