1) How big are the relocation packages at Google, Facebook, Amazon? 2) Can a portion be used to buy your way out of your current lease? 3) Do you get showered with taxes afterwards?
TOP 16 Comments
- Polaris Alpha / Eng bx44moreDo any of these companies help with selling a home if you own?
- I don't think it does but I've never really tried to find out because Facebook took the annual number I asked for and added 15k a year to it. Full disclosure I came from a government contact role to this and looking back I really had no idea how much the big tech companies paid. Since this seems to be a thing here: tc 300kJul 28 0
- Amazon / R&D ps.ilymoreI’ve heard of people negotiating an additional cash bonus to help break out of your lease, YMMV. Also yes, all of your relocation is taxable income.
- Apple j583dj8It’s not a negotiation, it’s written directly into the relocation package. If you take the lump sum of money it’s taxable income and you will have to keep track of all those expenses to write them off. If you have the company do the relocation stuff for you, it’s much simpler to write it off.Jul 27 1
- Just going through the relocation process (international) with Amazon now. They offered me 2 options:
Lump sum option of $13K (net), plus flights.
Assisted. $4K in cash, 40ft shipping container, destination storage of your stuff, 30 days rent or corporate housing, 30 days rental car (or uber/train allowance), tax consultant, a local agent to help with finding a house/apartment, picking schools, setting up utilities/bank etc. I currently rent, and they'll pay if you need to break a lease, but they also help with selling your house if need.
If you're single and not bringing a lot of stuff the lump sum is probably best. I'm moving with a family so the assisted option offers a lot of benefits (and I don't have to spend my time organising the whole move).