#Relocation - Planning to move to CA from WA

Microsoft white eagle
Dec 1, 2018 5 Comments

Hi All,

I’m planning to move to CA from WA and couple of days back I got my license plates renewed, can I drive my car in CA with WA plates for 1 year and then transfer?


Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 5 Comments
  • Google / EngBluths
    Need to register for CA plates within 30 days of moving and get a CA license within 10 days. If you get pulled over, you will get a ticket.

    Ironic since you won’t be able to find an appointment at the DMV for the next 3 months.
    Dec 1, 20183
    • SpaceX uevh5
      Genuine curiosity - why does everybody complain about DMV? Can't you do everything online? I went to a physical office once in my lifetime - for my first license, I did everything online after that. CA's DMV has their website address on every license plate, do you still need to go in person?
      Dec 1, 2018
    • Google / EngBluths
      Yes, you do. For first time registration and Real ID. Do you really think people are so dumb that they won’t think to do it online?
      Dec 1, 2018
    • SpaceX uevh5
      That was my suspicion - that too many things need to be done in person. That and the fact DMV offices in my area are always empty.
      Dec 2, 2018
  • Intel UfCX54
    I think AAA can register a car coming in like that. Didn't use to do it, but the last time I bought a car from out of state I didn't have to go to DMV. DMV also has a nifty (!) bit of their site where you can see the wait time at all their offices. Some of them have shorter lines than others...
    Dec 1, 20180

Join verified employees in our anonymous social network!Download the app!