I got an offer from Microsoft US but it couldn't go through because of Visa. Microsoft introduced me to team in India and the team was interested in extending an offer in India. I know salaries in US shall be scaled down to India standards, but I was wondering if somebody had to make a similar move. How was various components of salary negotiated?
- I agree about the idiotic immigration system. And scaling down Indian salary is a fact not my opinion.
- Dude, when did living standards came into picture? I'm comparing absolute numbers. Im aware of how purchasing power parity and all works. I lived in India for 26 years so please save a lecture on comparing apples and oranges. I asked a simple question around how that conversion works not what your interpretation of 'scaling up or down' means
- Where on earth did I ever mention 'living standards' in my post? Can you read properly? How are you deciding I wanted to discuss wrt living standards? Are you day dreaming? I wrote India standards not 'living standards/cost of living'. Learn to make constructive comments. Education loan comes into picture because in absolute terms US salary pays the loan much faster than Indian (regardless of the damn living standards). And yes, there, that's a fact not an opinion.Jun 19 1
- No, I am perfectly happy with India (family in India too) Currently in US
- Okay. Don't worry too much about scaling down, with 3 years of experience you will not see much difference to the quality of life you get with the money in India. If you'd like DM me the salary and related info and I can let you know what I think (did a move last year). You can be without the visa headache and like you said - be with the family.
Flagged by the community.
- New inmannMicrosoft has a fixed compa ratio and salary conversion/ scale for cross country moves. Most likely they will use that. I am not sure if that's negotiable in your case if you haven't joined US yet. But I think the salary they have in India is fair and reasonably competitive in market. Not the top 10 percentile in market but certainly good. All the best
- Microsoft / Eng samurai6moreWhen I relocated in India , they gave me tickets, one month salary and 1 month hotel stay and reimbursed food cost for relocation. They will also give a car with driver. But that was relocation within India. Nonetheless, the overall relocation amount should be way less than what people get if they move from India to USA.
You can move to India now. Work there for 1-2 years , spend some time with family and come back with L1 visa.
The stocks and joining bonus they give in India are way less than what you get here. Try to negotiate on that.
- What’s the level being offered? Hard to give numbers without that information
You should definitely negotiate the relocation package (Microsoft gives at least 20k$ non taxable on relocation from the US)
- Cerner / Eng whatwasth@op do you mind sharing what was the problem with visa? Was transfer rejected?