SFO-Hong Kong Cathay vs United Business ClassDec 11, 2018
Recently joined GSM team at Apple. Will be travelling frequently to HK and Shanghai.
Any recommendations on United vs Cathay.
Which has better inflight services and rewards program(especially for travel to India)
Full Disclosure - Indian guy looks to collect points to visit back.
TC - 200k
- Fly Cathay. Deposit your miles with Alaska. Use them to redeem on Emirates for trips to India.
- You get something like 225% miles flown when crediting Cathay business class to Alaska Airlines. Probably more once you get status I.e. flying 75K+ miles per year. So you’ll need to create an Alaska airlines frequent flyer account and credit your flights to it. You can then redeem those miles for Alaska partner airlines including Emirates.
Don’t discount United though. Depends how often you travel and cost of your tickets you can potentially earn a lot of United miles for paid business class. Up to 11x (I think) per dollar spent on each ticket once you get 1K status (flying 100K miles per year). United is a member of star alliance which has a lot of options to India.Dec 11, 20181
- Good point, IBM. United also has Singapore and even Air India as partners, so they may have more award availability overall.
Here's another factor to consider - with United, if you fly/spend enough (>$100K/year and over 300K miles/year), you qualify into their global services program, which is a huge deal. May not apply to you if you're not flying to Asia every month, but I know someone who does and it makes all their flying much smoother.
- It should be straight forward to do it online via Alaskan. Might need to create an account and login first and then just do a search for your desired route making sure you select mileage redemption option. Keep in mind award availability using any airline miles is never guaranteed.
It will cost 42500/82500/150000 Alaska miles each way per person to/from USA-India in economy/business/first class respectively to fly emirates.
Pinterest: United will also let you mix partners and also has Lufthansa, Swiss, Thai, ANA and many others in addition to the ones you’ve mentioned so gives a lot of routing options.
- Google WOqg33They're both really good for transcontinental. One plus Cathay has over United is in the biz class they have 1-2-1 config compared with Polaris' 2-2-2.
For points, I'd go with United. More partners that fly to India
- I see a vast majority voting Cathay, How is their rewards program especially when travelling to India