Compensation aside, would you rather be a front end engineer at Facebook or Airbnb?
- FB probably has more interesting UI challenges
- A lot more teams/products to choose from at FB
- Airbnb has some of the best product design sense in the valley imo
- Airbnb doesn’t have to target increasing time on app as a metric unlike FB, and instead focus much more on business success metrics
- FB provides access to arguably the best React sources you could have
That's not to say there aren't exciting things happening on web at fb, but there's only so much to go around and a lot of it is already being done by some of the smartest folks in the industry. Sometimes opportunities to stand out here are lacking unless you branch out to different disciplines. Personally I'm okay with this and think it has helped me become a much more adaptive and well rounded engineer, but others might feel differently here.
I'm guessing that Airbnb has much more need today for front end engineers than Facebook does, and that probably means more opportunities. I might actually consider applying there sometime in the next year.