I'm being 'headhunted' for this position at Uber - by ex-vmware folks in the leadership there.
Would appreciate some hints from you guys here.
- How is Uber today? My previous impression (from ex-colleagues) was that it's quite an agressive company with very bad work-life balance, and culture.
- What is expected in this position as responsibilities (it is strategical or hands-on bug triaging mopstly?), and is it a downgrade from my currect position as director of engineering in VMware (responsibilitieS and impact-wise)
- Twitter bbccnnMoney team? If yes, Stay away. Very poor work ethics. Lot of hyperbole and confusing talk. Nothing gets done.
- Nutanix / Eng ahahahahHonestly I would stay at VMware unless the TC is ridiculously high.
- The work life balance is a little bit too good in my opinion. But the pay is top of the market with competing offer (around 600k or more). Sr manager at Uber usually needs to lead 20-30 team and plan for big initiative.
BTW, Uber level naming is weird. Sr mgr usually translates to Director / Sr Director in many companies.
- Not at all. Uber sr management is mainly responsible for technical vision, communication and career development of subordinates. The hands on part is mostly taken care of by tech leads. I was also at VMware long ago, Uber engs tend to be more productive and self driven, but on the other hand also have much higher expectation on the management to help them grow as fast as possible.Jul 9 1
- GE whattodo.I don’t see how they are going to sustain given they are burning $1B every quarter. Ride business is not making profits. Self driving far away from production, it’s deep into research in already crowded field. UberEats is somewhat making money with small margins. If they are not showing profits not sure how they are going to sustain. Same thing applies to Lyft. I see these stocks will see similar fate of GE stock.
- Since you are in the manager role, then it means there arent too many positions for you to choose from in the market. So you should be careful, thats correct.
Uber can provide competetive tc currently, because of the boost stock price.
Keep in mind Uber didnt earn any money in the past few years, it just burn investors money. The risk is if growth slows down, ubet stock will drop a LOT. just like snap last year.
- Uber uberdataYou might want to consider a similar role on the Uber Big Data team. They need help and they are strategic to the company.