1. Who uses Yahoo Mail anymore? Any yahoo email account you come across was probably comprised at some point.
2. If the interview was too easy, then the people that you work with will probably be mediocre.
I was just recently offered a position of Software Engineer with the Yahoo Mail team doing Android development in Kotlin in Sunnyvale, CA. And I’m slated to start in early January. Today is actually the last day for me to accept it as I was given the official offer two days ago and they said it expires within 2 days.
It’s 125k base (after negotiation from 120)
60k vesting over 3 years in Verizon stock
But I’m hesitant in accepting it. For the following reasons(I was given verbal offer at a late night yahoo event that was held during a tech conference );
1. Even though there was onsite hiring at this conference , when I wen to this company’s happy hour (was late at night), I didn’t know I was being interviewed. I pretty much got ambushed and put in a room answered some simple questions.
2. The interview itself was barely technical, I was asked how to implement infinite scroll and some technical questions about the difference between redux and mobx.
3. At that event, the other people who attended could smell the desperation of the company.
4. They’re having me do Android Development in Kotlin after I had explicitly said all my mobile development experience is in React Native and I’d like to stick to React Native. I have absolutely no interest in android development.
5. Recruiter came in and told me that I had 3 days to accept offer but once I told her than I was interviewing at other places she gave me until the end of month.
6. The recruiter was really really trying to sell me on the job. I kept hearing how great the team was and how “surprised” she was they found a candidate.
I’ve been looking for a job since August of last year and during that time I’ve had six Silicon Valley onsites(Facebook, Yahoo but another position, LinkedIn, Mozilla, Oculus and Yelp) with more interviews to come , so I don’t wanna shoot myself in the foot by not taking a reasonable offer but I also don’t want to travel to the opposite coast of the country for a job I could potentially hate. I actually just quit my job (3 weeks ago) because I had no more PTO days and could no longer work from home bc our team members were leaving.
Can anyone who currently works here or on the Yahoo Mail team give insight into what it’s like to work there?
Not sure if it’s clear but I’m no longer with vanguard , I quit it a month ago , 18 hours before I received this offer in the post