Should I tell my boss I’m interviewing and will eventually leave for geo relocation purposes?
DS1, TC: ~150k
Hey friends, been at uber in SF for a few years now and I’ve decided to move cities for personal reasons. The city I’ve decided to move to has a big tech scene with the large companies having offices there, but Uber doesn’t have one. So I’m interviewing for the other large companies there and planning on leaving Uber/SF but it could take a few months.
I’m considering telling my boss about this decision early for a few reasons:
1. I respect/appreciate him and it could help him plan ownership and transitions across the team better for the next few months. Would make my leaving on better terms with him.
2. I don’t have much to lose. If he fires me on the spot, maybe I’d get severance and then can have some free time to relax, work on side projects, and study for my interviews for new jobs.
3. It would potentially lead to me having an easier time at work in the next few months. Knowing that I’m leaving soon, he’d give me less ownership on long term projects and more short term work. Would allow me to focus more on interviews vs working like a dog for a job I’m on the tail end of.
The things I’m worried about:
- he could be upset and assign *more* work to me and try to reap as much value out of me while I’m still here. I think it’s unlikely but still possible. If he did this I’d probably have to quit since I’m just not willing to work high hours anymore at this point.
- could lead to some ill-will. Really don’t want this since I actually have a good relationship with him and want to stay in touch for the future.
Thoughts? Anyone else have experience with doing something like this? Do you think it’s a good idea? Telling a manager that I’m planning on leaving, but only in a few months.