I had a phone screen and the recruiter called saying they want to bring me in for an onsite. He requested SAT scores, high school GPA, and undergrad GPA. Forget the fact that I have a MS and over 10+ years experience.
WTF will they do with the info?
This was supposed to be a practice interview before starting my round of serious interviews.
Current TC: $320k
- Apple julB03Holy hell that’s crazy. What happened to Elon Musk “I don’t give a damn about your degree” 🤭
- I know of a startup that requires a college transcript for any candidate with under 5 YOE, which is nuts (they're based next to MIT and are huge pedigree snobs).
But your situation is next-level.
- SpaceX ysgy42I believe it is a psychological ploy to make you think you are super special. Welcome to the 1%.
- My recruiter's exact words while negotiating the offer "Keep in mind you'll be joining an elite club" Elite my ass. Inexperienced junior developers, questionable design decisions and a huge pile of technical debt. My product was so fucking fragile that the DevOps were constantly on call doing their best to keep it alive.Feb 83
- I agree it’s a ridiculous request. I’m trying to come up with a polite way to tell the recruiter to shove his request through whichever hole he desires.
- New 💩postTell them
undergrad GPA 3.9 you missed a final because you like to party
- They're hiring? Thought they just laid off like 10% of their entire workforce??
- They didn't ask me that 2 years ago. But if you are working with a recruiter from the Redmond office some of them are of a questionable qualitity. Mine was from LA and was pure gold.
My advice - if the on-sites are in LA go for the factory tour, but don't join unless you can afford it.
- Google 1234-/:;(Its been 15 years since you took the sat why does that even matter? Does college board even keep records for that long?
- I call BS on an TC offer of $320k at SpaceX unless your counting unvested shares.
- fuck them. just tell them 4.0 1600 3.95. they aren’t going to ask for a transcript until ready to make an offer
- Allytics / MktgMsMjolnirmoreI worked the SWE desk job side at security company, but because their physical security guards were often just HS grads, they made the entire company provide HS transcripts. Felt really weird contacting my HS after 20 years out.
Could it be that because SpaceX does some manufacturing too, they require transcripts from everyone? I'm just spitballing. It's baffling for sure.