Switching company in stem opt while H1B petition can be approved.

Oct 9, 2018 20 Comments

Hello.

My current empoyer has filed my h1b visa and it has not yet been approved. I have my stem opt till 2020.

I have an offer from Amazon that is 2x my current pay. I am planning to switch, but this visa confusion is causing some hesitation.

I was planning to switch in my stem opt now. Instead of waiting for h1b and then again for transfer, due to recent rule of no pp.

Anyone faced similar situation. What do you guys suggest.

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 20 Comments
  • Amazon QCsQ74
    I have done it myself. Fragomen took care of all the situation and helped me get through
    Oct 9, 2018 6
    • Amazon QCsQ74
      I was on STEM OPT and my previous employer H1 was picked but not approved. So, Fragomen transferred it without me having to go through another lottery or new H1 petition next year. It went through with no RFE
      Oct 9, 2018
    • OP
      And when it got approved? They transferred?
      Oct 9, 2018
    • Amazon QCsQ74
      Yes. Thats right
      Oct 9, 2018
    • OP
      Good to know.
      Oct 9, 2018
    • New Php535
      Hey Amazon, did you transfer the H1b before it got approved? I thought that wasn't possible.
      Oct 10, 2018
  • Cisco / Eng uUKM11
    You might have to participate in lottery again in 2019 if you don't transfer the visa. I would advice to transfer the visa
    Oct 9, 2018 3
    • OP
      Yes. But that would 3 months waiting period right?
      Oct 9, 2018
    • Cisco / Eng uUKM11
      I know many folks who didn't get the lottery. It is up to you if you want to take the chance. Yes transfer could take up to 3 months. You already know the risk and reward
      Oct 9, 2018
    • OP
      True that.
      Oct 9, 2018
  • Akamai Technologies uytrf
    How the hell they can transfer if you dont have h1b approved..same fragoman told wait till h1b approval..before changing company..
    Oct 9, 2018 2
    • OP
      I have stem opt
      Oct 9, 2018
    • Akamai Technologies uytrf
      Yea..u can change the employer on stem opt..but at same time you lose the h1b petition from current employer if its not approved yet. So u have to go through the lottery process again..
      Oct 9, 2018
  • New Php535
    I'm exactly in the same boat right now. H1b picked this year but stuck in RFE. Got a new job with 2x pay. Did not want to wait 6+ months. After much thought, I decided to go ahead with my new job on OPT. I gave my 2-week notice last week. OP, let me know what you decide.
    Oct 10, 2018 1
    • OP
      Same. Giving my 2 week notice. If its approved, the attorney in amazon said they could try transferring ot.
      Oct 10, 2018
  • Amazon QCsQ74
    I had the same question when I had joined amazon. HR suggested me to join after approval. If my H1 would have been rejected for any reason, I did not have OPT left to start working anyways and would not have had a chance to apply for another H1 the following year.
    amazon does not offer full time position on CPT(fyi)
    Please consult amazon lawyer on date pf joining. Do not follow random suggestions and cases here
    Jun 26 0
  • Samsung / Eng WfyI03
    Did your h1b get approved? Were you able to apply for change of employer before Oct 1 and get it approved? Did the withdrawal from previous employer affect your new approval?
    Jun 25 0
  • Uber / Eng Bonzai
    It will be a brand new h1b app while you work on opt. Chances are pretty much the same. I say switch. Amazon is good grit the first few years of your job
    Oct 9, 2018 0
  • EY / Consultant
    shirapx

    EY Consultant

    PRE
    Mu Sigma, dunnhumby
    shirapxmore
    Can’t transfer before the H1 approval comes through. Very likely your current employer who has filed for the H1 will withdraw the application.
    Oct 9, 2018 0

Salary
Comparison

    Real time salary information from verified employees