Switching from Back-end ASIC to Performance modeling/Computer Architecture/System level design.
I am currently working on Physical design/Physical design methodology. Over the last couple of weeks these few points are bothering me :
1. Disparity between SW and HW engineers TC.
2. Long term future of being a HW ASIC engineer.
3. Intel as a company not looking promising.
I am considering switching to a new role and want to take this opportunity and step in the right direction. I have the following questions :
1. Is moving to performance modeling/computer architecture domain be good move as a stepping stone to move into SW.
2. How difficult is it to switch to computer architecture domain internally.
2. What is the future of physical design engineers? Answer will me decide whether is worth to switch from my 3 years of Physical design expertise.
Experience : 3 years post Master's.
I had taken a couple of courses on Architecture in grad school. With correct preparations I would be able to crack the interviews.