Between concussions, male cheerleaders, and political grandstanding, the NFL has no chance of existing 20 years from now.
TOP 26 Comments
- BuzzFeed / Eng0xdeadmoreGood riddance. The NFL just treats their players like circus freaks anyway—I don’t care how well they get paid. I personally know a few and a good chunk of them are brainwashed into believing they can’t use their new wealth and platform to speak out about racial injustice. I don’t want to sound preachy (too late?), but the majority of the players are Black and I’ll be damned if I ignore that and the fact that Kap has been mostly alone with the exception of a few vocal NFL-affiliated supporters. So fuck the NFL and fuck the NBA while we’re at it. I grew up looking up to the stars of both leagues, too, but my entertainment is way less important than eradicating the perpetuation systemic mistreatment if Blacks in this country. These sports leagues exploit the shit out of these folks and pacify them with a few million. Kiss my ass. I know this thread was a joke, but the overarching issues here are absolutely no joke.
- @0xdead, making it into the NFL is “everything”. These guys have trained every day of their lives to get to this point. They’re the best in the world at it. And they’re paid like they’re the best in the world. Most of these guys make what the average person makes in a life time. I mean hell, the minimum salary in the NFL is like 470k. You know how much the average American makes in a year?
- BuzzFeed / Eng0xdeadmore@zzz The contrarians in this thread don’t get that. Lots of smart dummies on Blind. Can solve LeetCode Hard problems in their sleep, but when it comes to real issues (like the one we’re talking about), they’re disconnected. That’s as much generalizing I’ll do here because it’s in bad taste, but you get it. This is pretty frustrating.
- I would also say that it's true for most sports. I read an article about professional tennis, that only top 100 manage to break even, with all the costs of training, travelling and then earning peanuts getting out of 1st rounds in majors. It's only big payoff for the federers and the Nadals.
But with NFL it is worse because the career is so short, lots of really permanent health issues thru concussion, obesity and other injuries, and potentially not a lot of career options later.
- Microsoft TrumpWins@Buzzfeed Kaepernick is not fighting for the issues that are actually serious. That's why so many think he's an idiot. An analogy for what he's doing is calling out hospitals & doctors for hurting people because they're treating too many people with injuries. He has zero interest in figuring out why so many are coming in injured.
If you want to talk about serious issues, figure out why 13% of the population has committed 50% of the murder over the past several decades. That might explain increased contact with the police.Aug 17, 20181
- > male cheerleaders
Alright, shut it down. It was fun while it lasted.