Senior in college, interned at SpaceX and Capital One, thinking bout going to law school. It suits my personality better from what I’ve experienced (i don’t like nerding out over software, I enjoyed the work I did for law professor last year). Thoughts on this?
- Microsoft 4655434bDon’t assume being an attorney will be this glorious or righteous endeavor. Unless you choose to work for nearly zero pay at some advocacy group you’ll be some partner pee-on for many years at relatively mediocre pay... you may do better after 10 years or so of practicing
- Apple fu manchu100k minimum for even a tier 3 law school. And your life will revolve around argumentation and conflict with people yelling at you over the phone and sending hostile emails.
And you do all that to earn roughly what a SWE earns. And that’s a best case scenario. If you want more money, you need to work for a top law firm and work 90 hours a week. To get that privilege, you need to graduate summa cum laude from a top law school.
There’s an oversupply of lawyers in the market.
Most lawyers are not practicing law after 4 years.
It’s a shit job.
You’ve been warned.
- My wife is an attorney, mostly boring small cases. Movies over glorify the role
But hey she likes it and the work
- Northrop Grumman / Eng(Ω,A,μ)I know a butt load of lawyers, if you're good enough to get into big law you'll start at 190k and should be hitting 300k after a few years then ideally trying for partner. Be prepared to work some 80+ hr weeks though.
You could also end up as lead council at a major tech company and hit a multiple of 7 figures.
Place well in your class and try for a top 20 program, network at a good internship and you should be good to go.
- Facebook NewYear19Get in a top 6 school and get a scholarship or grant financial aid. Otherwise don’t go unless you really really love the law. Chicago, Columbia, and NYU offer fat scholarships if you have the LSAT score and grades. Going to one of those for free and graduating with a $190k job and a law degree is a pretty solid outcome if you like law.
This comment was deleted by original commenter.