I can’t take it anymore, this rat race is miserable as fuck, all day every day I have to take bullshit from everybody, idiotic manager, backstabbing team mates, moronic team mates, team mates smarter than me who make me feel dumb, ...
Even the work itself is not as fun as it used to be, every framework or piece of technology is so massive these days that mastering it is a challenge and the pressure to do it quickly doesn’t leave the time to appreciate the art.
I used to get depressed on Sundays thinking about Monday, now I get frustrated even on Friday and Saturday nights, I wake up in the middle of the night and for a second I think tomorrow is Monday!
I am 32, I live very frugally and through frugal living I saved 1.5M, all invested in Vanguard index funds.
What if I just call it quits and go live somewhere cheap forever? Will that money last me if I keep it all invested and spend as little as possible in a beach town?
I have dual citizenship so I can go in every place in Mediterranean Europe like Italy or Spain.
I don’t have a family and don’t want kids.
Blind cheer me up!
- Facebook uwuTangLol man no family or kids + 1.5M liquid assets? Just take a few months off, no reason to feel pressure at all.
- Facebook AlmostdoneYou have 1.5M savings at 32, damn. I’m much older have much less saved.
Why do you worry so much at work? Why do you care about idiotic manager and backstabbing team mates? What’s the worst thing that could happen? They could give you bad review? They can fire you? But you are already thinking to quit. So don’t quit, go back to work every day and don’t give a f* what’s going on around you, focus on work and try to do it as best as possible to your satisfaction, and if it comes to worst then take few months off to decide what you want to do next.
- SAP ImposterXmoreI hear you, mate. I had a severe allergy against work :-). Took two absent times (temporary retirements) to go 1) surfing in Europe and Northern Africa and 2) travel the US East Coast.
Best I could do. I grew as a person, tons of adventures and was refreshed when I decided that the accounts were depleted sufficiently or the girl I was hanging with didn’t want to finance me anymore.
Pro tip, if you can: I also spent time in Havana, Cuba and surroundings. No GPS, no real mobile connection, the freaking bus comes or it doesn’t, breakfast with rum, sex with rum, sex and breakfast with rum, a big cigar on the roof of your Casa Particular at night watching the stars. It’s as if you hit a wall with a Porsche at 120 mpH. Everything seems to stop at once. Did I mention the people are awesome?
Just do it!
- I feel this post and I am 25. 5 more years as a Software Engineer? 🤮 Then I am 30. I think I need kids because otherwise I'll be in this constant pursuit of higher TC with nothing else.
I am waiting for a side project to take off then maybe I will feel more fulfilled.
- Move to somewhere cheaper like in the Midwest (Idaho or Ohio). I lived there on 35k per year after taxes easily. You could easily make it work there.
- Google anons2Get some outside hobbies, spend a little of your savings and have fun. Check out at work, ignore the politics , do the bare minimum, surf Reddit or have fun chatting at work. That may help your burn out. If you get laid off, great take your severence and go on a sabbatical, live in South America or Europe for a couple months