Trapped in Google team matching with time running outMar 13
I have 3 YoE and got approved by HC for a SETI role. Ever since then, I’ve been unable to match with a team.
It’s been about 2 weeks since my last fit call, and while I’d be happy to wait indefinitely, I recently found out Microsoft wants to extend an offer and they want fast decisions according to their email.
I don’t suppose any Googlers here know of any teams that could use a SETI with my level of experience (ideally NYC but I’d take anything at this point). If so, could I possibly put you in touch with my recruiter? This feels like it should be a good position to be in but I’m just bummed out I may not be able to work for my dream company if I can’t match.
- Definitely let your recruiter know ASAP. If necessary, give them a “fake” deadline. I was in the same situation and after disclosing my deadline, I got 6 my team matching phone calls in one day and as soon as I picked one, the offer was orally extended the next day, then official in writing two days later
- Ideally I was hoping for NYC since that’s where I live. I also had a fit call for a Cambridge, MA team that didn’t work out. I’d be open to any site though but I haven’t gotten any requests from any site for about 2 weeks. In my call with my recruiter today, he told me open spots are pretty low which is where I was basing that off of.
- “Doesn’t work out” meaning you don’t like the team? Or that they don’t like you?
From experience, for L3s, we pretty much hire any we can get unless they did something really unacceptable during the fit call. (Unless it’s one of those role that require domain specific knowledge )
- I guess they didn’t like me since I expressed interest. It was an extremely friendly conversation though. My recruiter said the manager wanted to hold off on hiring for his team, so maybe there were factors external to me? I have a friend that works in the Cambridge office that set it up through his manager, so I guess it wasn’t an organic/natural situation either.
- Is the Microsoft offer for WA or NY? If it’s WA then try for Google in Seattle/Kirkland. G is expanding here.
- If you want Google and you’re already considering Seattle, then try to get in the door via Seattle. It’s a great experience to live here for awhile, then you can transfer at another time once you have established yourself and done internal networking. I moved to Seattle from NYC 2 years ago, and am moving back next week. Nothing is permanent, variety is the spice of life. There are 2 sets of offices here, Fremont (Seattle proper) and Kirkland (east side, across the lake). Either will do, there’s a shuttle between the 2, 15 minutes apart.
- Question, tangently related. Are you considered "working" for Google in this team matching phase or ...?
- how long have you been in team matching post HC? seems like an important data point to have
- Microsoft / EngmjHc32One related question. Does team matching happen usually after accepting the offer or getting the offer numbers?