Travel from USA to India via Paris on expired visa and valid i797

Dell rTmP70
Oct 3, 2018 16 Comments

Has anyone recently travelled from USA to India via Paris on expired H1b visa stamp with approved i797? I checked with airline and they said that it’s okay but many other websites forums says that I will need transit visa for Paris


Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 16 Comments
  • Glint Ovxthvyjgd
    Your h1b or i797 has nothing to do with France (or any other country except US).
    What do you mean by transit?
    If your connection is in the same airport in Paris and you are not planning to leave airport (not entering country) then you don’t need any visa to Paris.
    If you are planning to change airport or just cross border or France you need a Schengen visa.

    You may (or not) need valid h1b if you apply for Schengen visa in US. (Have to look up list of required documents on consulate’s website)
    Oct 3, 2018 5
    • Apple Google L7
      H1b stamp has everything to do with it
      Oct 3, 2018
    • Glint Ovxthvyjgd
      Oct 3, 2018
    • Amazon / Eng Fjisjsn
      Normally if I was going from India to, say Mexico (any country that’s not US or Schengen) and I’m connecting through Paris CDG, I need a transit visa.

      There’s some special treaty that says if you’re already authorized to work in the US and you’re flying out of the US or to the US you don’t need transit visas.
      Oct 4, 2018
    • Glint Ovxthvyjgd
      No you don’t need transit visa if you don’t leave airport/don’t cross border of the country and just changing gate or terminal
      Oct 6, 2018
    • Amazon / Eng Fjisjsn
      Nope that’s incorrect.
      Oct 7, 2018
  • Microsoft JohnSnow🐲
    Here are your options, go via Amsterdam, middle East, east Asia like japan south korea. Or take a direct flight from New York or SFO.
    Oct 3, 2018 0
  • Google / Eng BiggusD
    Are you an Indian citizen? If so you will need a Schengen Visa
    Oct 3, 2018 1
  • Audible bJsj64
    Expired visa and transit through mainland Europe (countries part of European union) is a no no. Either fly directly or fly through middle east. The reason is : If you are denied boarding to final destination for whatever reason, they will send you back which is Usa in this case. But with expired visa you cannot enter usa. Why take the risk?
    Oct 4, 2018 0
  • Roku kkUA10
    Just get a schengen and visit Paris
    Oct 3, 2018 0
  • Jivox jaggu_snow
    How long is your layover in Paris ? If you aren't stepping out of the airport, this is fine. They need a "schengen" Visa for letting you outside airport. There's a border control check on your way out.

    Apart from that, you're screwed!

    Source: lived in EU and had been in the same situation. For confirmation call the airport. Not the airlines
    Oct 3, 2018 0
  • Microsoft Mmm'kay
    Yes you will need a transit visa unless you have an unexpired visa for one of Canada, UK, Australia or New Zealand
    Oct 3, 2018 0
  • Dell $&@17(
    U r screwed dude
    Oct 3, 2018 0
  • Amazon / Eng Fjisjsn
    It feels absurd to get a transit visa for this and AFAIK you don’t need one but not a lawyer and have never done this before. Interested to know as well since I’ll be in a similar spot in a few months.
    Oct 3, 2018 0
  • New / Eng

    New Eng

    Tc= imbroke
    I would err on the side of caution. There is a powerful administration that does or may not want to let you back in.
    Oct 3, 2018 0


    Real time salary information from verified employees