Have offers from both of them.
From work, manager, and team perspective Twilio is exciting but Amazon TC is 25% higher than Twilio and no more negotiation with Twilio. Don't know more details about work, manager, the team at Alexa yet.
Being early in the career, care more about learning opportunities.
Which one would you choose and why?
I have other competing offers (Msft, Didi, Salesforce, OCI) which are paying much higher than Twilio but considering factors shown above in the table, Twilio and Alexa are the top 2 picks. Others are in the next columns.
Amazon Seattle TC = (1.25) * Twilio Bay Area TC
Equity: Same amount, different vesting schedule
Twilio (0) vs Amazon (80k 1st year and 60k 2nd) paid monthly which is standard Amazon practice
Have offers from both of them.
- Amazon / Product AmAlexamore20% is big. And Amazon’s brand will get you a level upgrade in 1-2 years at Twilio and many mothers firms. I would have take twilio if it was pre-IPO. Alexa has great teams all over and so that shouldn’t be a problem.
- Amazon / Product AmAlexamoreThere is shit all over Amazon. But as an SDE, you should see what you get in career. The brand equity and money is massively better that twilio. I mean even if the money or brand equity was comparable we wouldn’t be talking - especially in Bay Area. That said, Alexa has 4x more adoption that its nearest competitor - the org must be doing something right. There are 5x more Echo launches compared to google and 20x more partners who have integrated Alexa in their devices. And many like Bose put Google and dropped it next year and got Alexa in it. 20k smart home integrations and list goes on. This cannot be achieved without massive pace and some inefficiency. Yes Amazon’s culture is shit compared to many Bay Area companies. But I consider this as military duty for 2-3 years after which you have upgraded itself professionally and have much better career success in store. It’s short term vs long term.Nov 2, 2018 7
- Lol. Typical SDM talk. This is what I have been hearing in amazon. SDMs in Amazon make it sound like only amazon is doing good work in the world. You won’t get any learning if you join any other company.
OP. My suggestion would to be to find more info on your team and ignore this managerial bs. All these product launches etc doesn’t matter if you get a bad manager.
- amazon is already not that great and alexa sounds even worse
at twilio, you like the team, manager, and work. sounds like an easy choice
I don’t think 20% matters THAT much early in your career when you should be optimizing for learning
- Veritas, unfortunately that will be too much info, how about u tell me what org in alexa u have offer from and ill let u know if i know anything about it?. Also let me tell you this, go with amazon. Its worth the brand name. I was also hesitant in taking Amazon job coz of all the negativity around it. Its true there is a high turn over and still a day 1 culture so expect for lots of responsibility to ramp up pretty quickly, but that also means a lot of opportunities for progression, if u can stick it out and make it. Amazon has oncall so also u should be prepared to be paged at night. I got paged last noght at 3 am. But i will take my current job over any past job i have had without even thinking. I love amazon and plan to progress to PE someday.
- Twilio. Alexa is a bad org to go to. There are hiring every second person on this planet as engineer. Lot of policies, tech debt, and bad software engineering overall. Came from there, please don’t go.
- Normally I would always recommend starting with FANGG to get it on your resume and normally always take 25% salary bump. But man... Twillio is awesome. People there are great and the company is great
- OP. For compensation try also looking at different perks like 401k match, health insurance etc. amazon has really bad 401k match.
Moreover, understand Amazon’s target compensation strategy. At the end of first year you won’t get any raise or bonus. So your compensation will remain same for next 2-3 years.
- @JNJ espp is the only component of compensation where Twilio wins rest all look same and Amazon wins.
E.g. If I start at $125 at Amazon, TC remains constant for 3 years, I will earn $125 * 3 = $375 in 3 years.
At Twilio if I get 100, 110, 125 respectively, I will earn $335 in 3 years.
- Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I've decided to join Twilio 🙂.
Wish me luck.
- Twlllo anytime. With Amzn u are stuck with that comp for rest of ur life. Twillo has tons of growth and u will be getting refreshers and promotions.
- In terms of equity, TWLO will outperform AMZN as the rate of growth decreases for AMZN and stays constant or increases for TWLO. TWLO’s Flex will be a killer growth multiplier. AMZN cannot grow any faster. You might as well see what happens on Nov 6th before you make up your mind. Hope you have the number of shares locked in.
- What's your comp at Twilio and Amazon? Yoe? Level offered at both companies? (I work for AWS and my brother works for Twilio)
- Twilio GJLl61What’s ur compensation at Twilio. Twilio equity might be very valuable in the next few years and Twilio does not keep ur salary flat because stock has grown. Evaluate the Twilio stock growth for next few years and make a decision. Twilio as a company is very good and really nice culture and people. Understanding the break up in compensation between base and equity will help folks here offer better suggestion
- Updated the post. If we compare both the stocks, both have grown significantly. Both the companies are doing really great in what they do, they are way ahead of the competitors and growing fast.
Plus both of them are very close to all time high. Given that both are offering same amount if equity, will it be wise to consider stock growth, which is very unpredictable in making the decision?
- is Twilio not willing to negotiate anymore? you should tell them that you find the team very compelling and the only sticking point is Amazon is offering substantially more and your [wife/husband/SO/family] thinks that’s important (always have a 3rd party to fall back on), so if they can come close you’d be ready to sign right away
- Amazon / Eng your dadI'd suggest Amazon in general. I think you can tell the recruiter that you like Amazon but after doing some soul searching and learning more about it during the interview that you're not sure you'll enjoy Alexa. Tell the recruiter you want to accept an Amazon offer but would prefer AWS or Retail. The sourcer who found you will still get the credit for the hire if you accept even if it's not Alexa.
- Woot! Good luck! You'll have tons of fun.
I know so many people there and they're all awesome