UK Transit visa required ?

Amazon StickApart
Aug 17 15 Comments

Indian citizen with US visa traveling to France from US US on Scenghan. Have a connecting flight in London but requires change in airport from Heathrow to Gatwick. 2nd flight departs on the same day when the 1st flight arrives.

UK visa site states that folloiwng scenarios ‘may’ make me eigible to transit without visa -
1. Have a valid US visa
2. Traveling to a country other than Ireland with a valid visa of that country
3. 2nd flight departs on the same day when the 1st flight arrives

All 3 of the above conditions are true in my case but the key is the use of the word ‘may be eigible’
Anyone faced with a similar situation before and any thoughts on whether I would need a UK Transit Visa ?


Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 15 Comments
  • Microsoft bakaka
    You are missing one key detail - you are changing airports!
    IMO those rules are for flights in/out from the same airport.
    Aug 17 2
    • Amazon StickApart
      The rules specifically do not mention anything about changing airport. While it seems logical, there doesn’t seem to be any clear guidance and no way to contact the embassy for such questions
      Aug 17
    • Microsoft bakaka
      I am 99% sure you will need U.K. visa to leave the airport.

      I made that mistake once and ended rebooking the flights, rather than taking risk.
      Aug 17
  • New


    Bank of America
    Yoe: 🦏 TC: 🐐 Still not serious about life ...
    If you still want some more info for peace of mind, check/post in - more domain specific folks answering there.
    Aug 17 0
  • Fast Enterprises, LLC $€£¥
    You will not need a transit visa even if changing airports. In fact, you can also spend a day in London and take a flight out next day before midnight.
    Aug 17 0
  • F5 Networks dontalk2me
    Not needed. I’ve transited through Heathrow multiple times
    Aug 17 2
  • Google VnXu01
    Changing airport requires you to pass thought immigration ie border control at Heathrow. So yes, you either need a "visitor in transit" Visa or a normal visitor Visa.

    This is a good rule of thumb for any country really. Canada needs a transit visa even if you are switching between international flights at the SAME airport without leaving the airport. Learnt it the hard way last time
    Aug 17 1
    • Amazon StickApart
      I double checked on the UK gov website and the above conditions in my original post are listed for cases where you pass through border control. The conditions for no border control are much more lenient
      Aug 17
  • BMW / Eng

    BMW Eng

    ML Engineer at BMW.
    You do NOT need a visa, as an Indian citizen WITH a US Visa flying outside of Great Britain on the same day flight. You can go out and see London and go to another airport without any additional UK visa. There will be a separate line at LHR immigration. There is NO risk involved
    Aug 17 0
  • New NnOC74
    Book a different flight man , or try to apply for a transit Visa , unless you have a green card or a us passport
    Aug 17 0
  • New / Design human😒
    Heathrow and Gatwick are 2 hours apart. You would definitely require a visa to leave the airport and go to he next one
    Aug 17 0
  • I was in the same situation. I didn't want to risk it, so booked a different flight which avoids UK customs.
    Aug 17 0
  • Intel McComic
    Uk is not oart of Shengen. Call embassy to double check.
    Aug 17 0