(Unsolicited) Advice for single guys and gals out there planning on getting hitched
Make sure, before you sign that dotted line and get hitched for life
* Your non financial goals are aligned. If there's any disparity, make sure each of you understand that you're getting married knowing that you're not aligned because the issue is trivial. If it isn't trivial, do not get married to the other person regardless of how much you think you're in love. Life's too long to spend regretting, not understanding if you're to blame or the other person.
* You grew up in a family, and so did the other person. Each of you learnt about $ differently and look at it differently. It's a given! Not having the kind of money for your and your partner's goals & dreams will take a toll on you and the family (most of you'll probably have kid (s) one day). Talk through it with patience. Do not breeze through it. Most of you are engineers, or well educated. Remember planning... More of this talking will make your life a little easier down the road. Specifically talk if you want a 2 income family or 1. If career breaks are planned, how long, etc.
* Discuss the kids.....I know, I know... Too early. But once you've them Lil tots, they are your life. At least talk about how you'd raise them, education, etc.
* If there's no extended family support, life's going to be a little bit harder than it might been for the previous generation. Plan for it.
* Physical needs. How intimate do you like to be. Hopefully you've expressed this before you're hitched! But not all cultures afford the privilege. So, as uncomfortable as it might be... Talk about this. If there other person isn't open enough to do so, but you are particular about it, it's probably already a telling sign 😉
* Religion: remember, again, each family has its own culture. Religion is an important one, especially if it's important to one of you and not the other. Might seem trivial at first, but you won't believe how much more religious people get once they cross mid forties
* Race: if you're both from different races or countries. Please pay attention to this. Your kids are going to be the cutest ones on Earth, but if your families don't support you on this (which most won't), I really hope you know how hard it will be. Understand it, and if you both are strong enough to withstand this, do it! I did 😋
* Be AGILE: life's like a program. You've to continue discussing the above points. Have 'stand up' as often as your comfortable. Groom your goals and desires together!
I'm sure there's lots more others can share.