Unvested stocks

Microsoft eUyF35
Nov 8 21 Comments

I have ~60k$ worth of stocks vesting in February but I received an offer from Uber (30% hike to my current yearly TC) and they would not compensate for this unvested stock amount.

What should be the right thing to do here?

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 21 Comments
  • Riverbed Technology siegel
    Stay and postpone offer. Actually wait. Its Uber. GTFO
    Nov 8 2
    • Microsoft eUyF35
      OP
      What do you mean? Is Uber not a good option at the moment?
      Nov 8
    • Riverbed Technology siegel
      It's great if you like layoffs
      Nov 8
  • Facebook
    kboU62$;

    Facebook

    PRE
    Google
    kboU62$;more
    Tell Uber that I’d they want you now they should cover the vest with a sign-on. If not, wait.
    Nov 8 2
    • Zillow Group gentle
      Unlikely they wait that long but not impossible.
      Nov 8
    • Zillow Group gentle
      I'm about two join my new job 2.5 months after I signed.
      Nov 8
  • LinkedIn ~Startup~
    I don't get why people think like this. How much unvested salary do you have between now and Feb? Unvested stock is the same.

    If from now til Feb you'll make more at MSFT, then stay til Feb. Otherwise, go to Uber now. Ignore the Uber 1 year cliff and consider it accruing continuously, unless you plan to quit before 1 year.
    Nov 8 0
  • Amazon softmaxYo
    What’s the compensation breakdown ?
    Nov 8 6
    • Google jagodica
      So 300k > 60k. Even 300/4 > 60. What am I missing?
      Nov 8
    • Amazon softmaxYo
      60k is just his next vesting I guess. Could you also give your current TC breakdown ?
      Nov 8
    • Microsoft eUyF35
      OP
      60k is vesting in feb. 300k stocks is over 4 years, what am i missing
      Nov 8
    • Google jagodica
      That your 300k grant is larger than 60k you are getting in Feb. Assuming that 300k vests evenly over four years, in year 1 you get 75k. Where you are now, you get 60k. Are you asking them for 4x60k=240k.grant? Or are you unhappy that the 75k will be spread over year 1, and you want a lump sum in Feb? I really don't understand.
      Nov 9
    • Google jagodica
      If you want lump sum in Feb, ask to trade off 300k grant for 60k signon bonus, and 240k grant.
      Nov 9
  • HOVER do8ijp
    To be fair, the new stock is in Uber, a stock that is drilling to earth’s core, and the old stock is in a company that is actually succeeding. That’s worth considering too.
    Nov 8 2
    • Facebook
      kboU62$;

      Facebook

      PRE
      Google
      kboU62$;more
      True: the longer you wait, the more stock you’ll get for the same grant $$.
      Nov 9
    • Google jagodica
      Lol
      Nov 9
  • Google spcex
    What do you mean not compensated for 60k. Part of your new compensation includes making up for this invested stock.
    Nov 8 0
  • Salesforce baby J
    A) I would seriously think about joining uber right now. Company is in transition phase from private to public. Those things usually not as smooth even with profitable companies. In case of uber I think there will be a number of cost cutting measure including layoffs.
    B) if for some reason you still want to join uber right now ( you like company, culture, pay etc) I would just join and write off 60k as opportunity cost. Of cause it won’t hurt if you can ask I ever to wait until Feb. but if layoffs happen, offer could be pulled.
    Nov 10 0
  • Uber / Other yippeee
    Looooool
    Nov 8 0
  • Citrix Systems / Eng ಅವನೌನ ಹಡಾ
    What’s your current TC ? Level at MSFT ? Yoe ?
    Nov 8 0

Salary
Comparison

    Real time salary information from verified employees