Does anyone else think a recession is coming up and the best strategy now is to stash on cash?
TOP 38 Comments
- Amazon 737max💥It's tough to time that. If you plan to use the money soon your should do that, to preserve the capital, but if you have a 20 year timeline it may be better to ride it out.
The trouble with timing in bear markets are that they are very choppy. It may surge the day after you sell or crash the day after you buy back in. Very hard to see the top or the bottom even when you know it's coming.
In past recessions the people who held tight all the way through ended up coming out ahead but a lot of people who tried to time it got burned.
On the flip side, those who do manage to time it perfectly can get a 30% or more gain by selling at the top and buying back in at the bottom. But you either need to be a stock guru, or very lucky.
- I agree with 737max that it’s hard to time the market. But if you were to do that, you’d simply log into whichever institution manages your 401k, like 401k.com, and perform an exchange, sell a portion of your current portfolio and put it into bonds. If that seems hard for you, call your institution. You could also choose to do nothing.Apr 152
- ConocoPhillips Duck🦆No take your fear mongering elsewhere.
There are plenty of mormons in Utah who will gladly apocalypse prep with you
- BluVector sparkedIt is coming, but just like winter, no one knows when.
Likelihood of a recession in the next 5 years is pretty good but when and magnitude and primary domain of focus is all up in the air
- The bond yield curve is inverse right now and that is an economic inductor that has preceeded nearly all prior recessions in the US since 1932
- VMware vnwareEvery few weeks in the last 2-3 years you would see one of these indicators flashing red and dozen articles talking about how it surely is the best sign.
Economies are so much more connected/complicated & changes structure that every recession is caused by a different variation of factors.
I guess this time and every time we would know when we know.